Babylon 5 Season 3, Episode 9. Written by J. Michael Straczynski, directed by Jim Johnston. Originally aired on February 26, 1996.


Primary Plot: General Hague starts an insurrection to try to stop President Clark's martial law decree.

Secondary Plot: The Nightwatch try to take control of all security responsibility, causing Zack Allan to re-evaluate whether he's on the correct side..

Tertiary Plot: Londo invites a "seer", Lady Morella (played by Majel Barett Roddenberry) to the station to read his future.

Commentary: We pick up about 5 seconds after the end of Messages From Earth, as pandemoneum ensues following Clark's declaration of martial war. This episode is terrific not only because of how much happens, but also becuase of just how realistic JMS' manages to depict the aftermath of a martial law decree. You have Clark back home, desperately trying to retain control by unleashing the Nightwatch and similar organizations that he had formulated over the past year for this very purpose. You have General Hague and his followers desperately trying to rally the military to move against Clark. You have Sheridan and the others on Babylon 5, ignored for the moment because Clark's attention is elsewhere--but not for long. You have General Smits passing messages to Sheridan but not being able to say too much because there's no way to get a secure channel. And, finally, you have people like Zack Allan who really aren't sure which side is right in all of this.

Another thing I love about this episode is just how much stress you can see in the faces of the lead characters. Zack is walking around like he's ready to explode the whole episode, and by the end of the show Sheridan looks like he really hasn't slept in weeks. The scene where he's just sitting in his quarters wide awake, waiting for the alarm clock to give him his wakeup call is particularly telling.

We also now see the immediate effects of G'Kar's revelation--he seems to be an entirely different person. Calm, calculated, almost happy to have been incarcerated. And, above all, reborn from his own ashes to fight for his people.

Majel Barrett does a great job in this episode. She has repeatedly gone on record calling B5 the "only other intelligent science fiction series out there" besides the Star Trek shows, and she agreed to guest star in an episode to support the show. Here's the interpretation of the reading Morella gives Londo:

He will have three opportunities to avoid the fiery future that awaits him, and he has squandered two chances already. The two missed chances: one of these was most definitely sparking the Narn-Centauri War in The Coming of Shadows, and the other was probably allowing mass drivers to be used on the Narn homeworld in The Long, Twilight Struggle.

He must save the eye that does not see. This refers to the Season 4 episode Falling Towards Apotheosis, when Londo stands by and watches Emperor Cartagia pluck out G'Kar's eye without trying to stop it.

He must not kill the one who is already dead. This refers to the Season 4 episode Into the Fire, when Londo condemns Morden to death. Morden was "already dead," as he died and was reborn on Z'ha'dum when he started to work for the Shadows. By killing Morden, Londo condemned Centauri Prime to almost 20 years of retribution by the allies of the Shadows (as explained in Season 5's The Fall of Centauri Prime).

And, at the last, if he has missed all his other opportunities, he must surrender himself to his greatest fear, knowing that it will destroy him. This refers to the Season 5 episode The Fall of Centauri Prime, in which Londo is implanted with a Keeper and becomes Emperor to stop nuclear bombs from being detonated all throughout Centauri Prime. He saves billions of lives doing so, but destines himself to being a Drakh puppet for the rest of his life.


Return to the Babylon 5 Episode Guide.
The point of no return is the point beyond which, in any form of travel, you don't have the option of turning back any more, because you would not have the resources (fuel, time ...) to make it back to the starting point.

In a sense, once you go beyon the point of no return, you are committed to reaching your destination, or being stuck somewhere in the middle.


It is mostly used a navigation/military concept, in an aeronautical or naval concept.
It is also closely related to the radius of action figure for a given vehicle.
Due to varying efficiency, the point of no return may change depending on the speed at which the vehicle travels.

NB: it is not necessarily the midpoint of a trip, and it may shift as environment conditions change.

Point of No Return is a thriller movie made in 1993 and directed by John Badham. The movie is a remake of the movie Nikita(released in America as La Femme Nikita) by Luc Besson. The script is a modified version of Luc Besson's by Robert Getchell and Alexandra Seros. It is rated R and has a runtime of 109 minutes.

Maggie is a drug addict who gets caught while trying to steal drugs. In the process she kills a policeman. Her sentencing is quick, and she is given the death penalty. The execution is also, oddly, proccessed quickly and done by lethal injection.

Then she wakes up. She's been brought into a government organization. She can either train to become an agent, or she gets the plot of land that her body isn't currently in. She chooses life. However, she doesn't quite realize to the extent of which she will be working. After her training is completed, she is let out into the world.

Her job has only begun, and her lover doesn't make it any simpler on her.

If you view this movie as seperate from the original French release, it can be deemed about average. I wasn't that impressed by it, but I saw Nikita first. Nikita is definitely quite more impressive than this remake. The acting in this movie wasn't that convincing, and Bridget Fonda did not seem to really fit the role of Nikita/Maggie. However, Gabriel Byrne as Bob and Harvey Keitel, who replaces Jean Reno from the original, as Victor the Cleaner were quite good casts. All in all, if you want a good thriller and don't mind subtitles, watch Nikita instead.

The biggest change was basing the film in America instead of France. Some changes to the Nikita/Maggie character were made as well. In Nikita, most of her abilities come from a wonderful chaotic energy that she has, while Maggie actually is in complete control of herself. Also, the third job is quite different in the movies.

Cast:
Bridget Fonda - Maggie/Claudia Logan
Gabriel Byrne - Bob
Dermot Mulroney - J.P.
Miguel Ferrer - Kaufman
Anne Bancroft - Amanda
Olivia d'Abo - Angela
Richard Romanus - Fahd Bahktiar
Harvey Keitel - Victor the Cleaner
Lorraine Toussaint - Beth
Geoffrey Lewis - Drugstore Owner
Mic Rodgers - Cop
Michael Rapaport - Big Stan
Ray Oriel - Burt
Spike McClure - Johnny O
Lieux Dressler - Johnny's Mom
John Capodice - Detective
Carmen Zapata - Judge
Calvin Levels - Computer Instructor
Michael Runyard - Weapons Instructor
Bill M. Ryusaki - Karate Instructor
Jan Speck - Kaufman's Assistant
Francesco Messina - Waiter in Restaurant
Peter Mark Vasquez - Guard in Booth
Wendy L. Davies - Shopping Woman
James Handy - Operative
Lee Dupree - Guy with Gun
David Sosna - Operative with Headset
Bruce Barnes - New Orleans Thug
Jaqueline Koch - VIP Woman
Kenny Endoso - Angela's Bodyguard
Gary Kasper - Angela's Bodyguard
Rosalind Jue - Maid
Eric Cohen - Valet
François Chau - Building Security Guard
Joe Garcia - Hassan
Frank Girardeau - Policeman
Clark Heathcliffe Brolly - Male Student
Jodie Markell - Female Student
Robert Harvey - Police Detective
Harry Perry - Venice Guitar Player
Robert Apisa - V.I.P. (uncredited)

Sources:
IMDB - http://www.imdb.com.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.