Pokeconomy Fears Collapse as New Legislation Bans Sport-Fighting

SAFFRON CITY - The Kanto municipal government passed Bill 238 today, commonly known as the Pokemon Emancipation Act, making the use of pokemon for sport fighting illegal with a maximum penalty of up to 5 years in prison. The bill is a response to recent events relating to Michael Vick as well as heavy pressure received from organizations like PETAP (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Pokemon), but is the Kanto government prepared for the aftermath?

Up to 20,000 people formerly involved in the business of pokemon sport fighting are currently out of work and the numbers seem to be growing as leading companies are slowly finding themselves filing for bankruptcy. "We all knew it would happen," said Giovanni, former CEO of Silph Co, "it was only a matter of time until the bubble burst". Giovanni was unwilling to comment on how this legislation would affect Team Rocket. It is estimated that up to 60,000 more jobs will be lost in the next 3 months which economists predict will lead Kanto into its worst depression yet. The effects are already being seen on the global scale as the Pokecredit fell a whopping 18.1 points today, leaving it at an all time low of 39.82 credits to the Euro.

Still many are looking at this legislation as a final victory for pokemon sympathizers. Professor Gary Oak, newly appointed spokesperson for PETAP, had this to say: "It's about time that we started viewing our pokemon as equals instead of cheap thrills. It's sad that it took this long to get the Kanto government on board, but it's just a matter of time until this philosophy spreads to the Orange Islands and the world." When asked about the economic effects, Oak stated, "a company cannot base its revenue on cruelty, just ask the pocket monsters we're saving if they agree."

"Pikachu!" Pikachu told officials last Saturday when asked for comment.

Alternatively...

Pokeconomy Fears Collapse as New Legislation Bans Sport-Fighting

SAFFRON CITY - Emotions ran high today as the Kanto municipal government passed Bill 238, more commonly known as the Pokemon Emancipation Act, banning the use of pokemon for sport-fighting with a maximum penalty of up to 5-years in prison. Included in the bill was the criminalization of pokeballs and government officials are telling all Kanto residents to turn over their balls and turn over a new leaf for poke-human relations. "It's a real victory for mankind", Professor Samuel Oak, newly appointed spokesperson for PETP, told the Kanto Press, "today marks the beginning of a brighter, more humane tomorrow."

But not everyone is so optimistic. Economists are viewing Bill 238 as the first step to a pokeconomic collapse. Over 115 businesses servicing the pokemon training industry are fearing bankruptcy, foreshadowing the loss of up to 150,000 jobs. The pokecredit closed today at an all-time low, only 13.63 credits to the Euro. "We all knew it would happen eventually," Giovanni, alleged leader Team Rocket, told the Kanto Press, "those who can are getting out fast." But Ash Ketchum, current Silph Co. CEO claims that business will adapt. "Silph Co. is still motivated to providing top of the line Pokemon care products as usual, cruelty free," Ketchum stated in a press release. Ketchum also announced today that in accordance with Bill 238, the manufacturing of all pokeballs and pokeball research has ceased at Silph Co. Ketchum refused to comment on the exact direction of the company but his spokesmon had this to say, "Jiggly, jigglypuff!"

More on the story as it develops

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.