The State of Utah just recently voted (and passed) legislature to pay $75,000 (next year this will be doubled) a year for a dedicated, anti-obscencity prosecuter, this prosecuter has been aptly named the Porn Czar.

As of this write up the Utahn Porn Czar is Ms. Paula Houston. Brigham Young University graduate and follower of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She has stated that her faith will not block her impartiality.

"This is a historic day... ...There's absolutely no redeeming value to pronography, and I, for one, will not allow pornographers to hide behind the First Amendment."
--Mark Shurtleff, Utah Attorney General

Houston has said that she will fight porn, not on the grounds of free speech, but, on the grounds that it is addictive, like any drug. She, in essence, argues that pornographers are simply drug dealers dealing the oldest drugs known to man.

My own opinion on this is that I agree with most of what Houston and her comrades in Utah have said on scientific and moral grounds. However, with regards to the law, ignoring the constitution outright based on science has caused many a problem in the past. A perfect example of this is abortion. At what point do we define a foetus as human rather than animal? In this case, at what point do we define the chemicals within the human body as drugs? Infact, this could get even more hairy. At what point does one consider the attire and actions of a person pornographic? If a woman walks down the street in Utah in a miniskirt, is she a pornographer? Should she be prosecuted for dealing drugs? What if a couple is making out in a park? I'm sure there are dozens more similar questions one could raise to make this an even more heated holy war.

So, in conclusion, perhaps Utahns should ask themselves, "Do we really need another messy debate raging between the liberal and conservative halves of this country?"

The porn czar's official title is the State Obscenity and Pornography Ombudsman. The name "porn czar" evokes images of some guy sitting there in an office flipping through the latest Playboy, but a porn czar must be a trained attorney with a lot of experience in obscenity cases. It has been about a year since Paula Houston has taken office, and for the most part, she has not gone out on an all-out rampage against uncovered boobies. Quite the contrary, she has worked closely with state legislators on a law that now allows minors to see artistic nudity - before, it was illegal for minors to see Michelanglo's 'David'!.

She has ran into opposition getting the law passed; the ultra-conservative Eagle Forum opposed it. I present to you this quote:

Houston is trying to bring Utah law in line with federal case law, but some legislators don't want Utah's public indecency laws changed.

The high court requires states to allow minors access to material with serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value ... or their statutes could be deemed unconstitutionally overbroad.

Members of the Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Interim Committee couldn't see anything of serious value with material that deals with illicit sex. And the Utah Eagle Forum suggested that Utah challenge the Supreme Court's admonition.

"Do we care what the Supreme Court said?" Eagle Forum president Gayle Ruzicka said.

The porn czar's office reflects Utah's belief that pornography is like a drug; indeed, Paula Houston remains the first - and only - state-appointed obscenity ombudsman in the entire United States.

She even has a home page!

http://www.attygen.state.ut.us/pornography.html

source: deseretnews.com archives

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.