A mere month ago I was confronted with a VH1 presentation concerning the ever growing link between the Porn and Rock scenes. Their explanation for this connection was the glam-appeal of the two scenes and the level-minded ambitions of rock stars. At the time I accepted this, but like a worn-out mattress it just did not suit well enough to rest on. Enter - the real reason of the Porn/Rock link:


Practices of the Music Industry

    The music industry is deceiving the people by marketing music as a cold, dead product. The recording companies have created an oligopoly in what once was a public market - by pushing seemingly identical artists (N'sync/98 Degrees - Britney Spears/Christina Aguilera - Matchbox 20/Three doors down) they saturate the majority of musical demand and make it nearly impossible for new artists to reach a nationwide audience. The signed artists, on the other hand, receive a ridiculously small cut of the record's sales. A platinum-selling band on their second album might make $0.17 per album, a new sign-up gets around $0.10. Assuming that the album sells at $15.99, the artist gets less than one percent of profits. Considering the fact that this artist conceptualized and realized what is being sold, this is a very slim cut.
The artists are getting screwed in two ways: New artists struggle to gain a mainstream audience and often fade into oblivion; signed artists get pimped and played out for all their worth.
The people are taking it up the ass in two ways: The listener pays a horrendously high price considering production cost (and is subjected to price fixing, but that is another discussion.) Also, the amount and variety of music the average listener is exposed to is limited by the pushing of selected bands onto television and the radio - it is harder to find music that directly speaks to you.

Practices of the Porn Industry

    The porn industry is deceiving people by marketing sex as a cold, dead product. The consumer's social behavior and expectations are distorted by "perfect" anatomy and monotonous multiple-orifice fucking. Someone raised on porn is bound to devalue sex as a bond between loving people and therefore have relationship problems - again, people are getting screwed in two ways, both of which are a change in perception (Porn addiction is a whole different story.) The 'artists' literally whore themselves out to make average pay; as they age, they tend to be forced into freakier sex acts to retain the same pay-base. Additionally, the risk of STDs is ever-present. Regardless of how often one may get tested, someone might sleep with an infected individual on the outside and spread the disease towards the 'actors' of the movie. The 'artists' are taking it up the ass in two ways.

DVDA

    DVDA is one of the highest-paid sex-acts in the porn industry and can be analogous to both industries' business practices. In the music industry, the people are manipulated and cheated out of their money while the artists are either ripped off or unemployed. In the porn industry, the (hardcore) viewers are manipulated and made sexually inept, forcing them to buy more porn; the 'actors' are prostitutes to the camera (although out of their own choice) and are exposed to a risk of disease and death. This is a unique business principle, and I am certain once some high-ranking suit figured out the similarity several meetings were held to join forces. What better way than to throw gigantic parties featuring both rock and porn stars, celebrating their imagined success... somewhere, someone in a suit is laughing.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.