Igloowhite made this fateful comment on April 4, 2001, and for the next half hour, nothing else was spoken of in the chatterbox. Note that I've edited the transcript slightly by removing the comments about preserving the chat log and the few initial off-topic comments from previous conversations, which were all summarily ended.

I had said before that Igloowhite will have to let me know exactly what he meant by "P-O-M-O" if it wasn't a typo; everyone seemed to read it as "P-O-R-N-O." Within minutes, Chihuahua Grub says: "yo, foo... 'pomo' means 'post-modern'." So now we all stand corrected. Somehow, I think that makes this all the more amusing: it was all lawnjart's fault for that very first Story of O comment.

21:22: Igloowhite cracks open his deck of "pomo novelists:The Gathering" cards
21:26: Chihuahua Grub wonders if he has enough mana to tap his almighty Kafka card...
21:28: Igloowhite wonders about the new hit crossover game "networking protocols vs pomo novelists"
21:28: lawnjart taps 5 and casts the story of o
21:28: Pyrogenic: In this game, do you get manna by tapping "reader" cards?
21:30: Chihuahua Grub: I'll see your Story of O and raise you a Story of Ping! HAH!
21:30: Pyrogenic taps two horny college students and one dirty old man to cast The Convent of Hell
21:30: Igloowhite: you get mana from both readers, and from page count of scholarly journals
21:31: Igloowhite: and horny college students
21:31: Pyrogenic: so once kafka is in play, you get double manna?
21:31: Jurph taps 8, plays "Used Bookstore," and draws "Introduction to Fluid Dynamics," "The Norton Anthology of Poetry," and an undisclosed card featuring Tom Stoppard
21:32: Devon_Hart gets in on the game and taps his Te of Piglet for one pink mana
21:32: Igloowhite laughs and laughs
21:32: WickerNipple taps the bible and gets mana from heaven. top that.
21:33: Chihuahua Grub is getting down as many octogenarian lit profs as possible so that he might finally be able to play the almighty James Joyce card...
21:34: Pyrogenic draws "East of Eden" which he uses with "High School English Teacher" to do one point of damage for each High School Sophomore he has in play.
21:34: Jurph hears C_G and quickly plays "Jabberwcky" — nullifies any stream of consciousness writing or allegory for 3 turns!
21:35: Chihuahua Grub was about to top Wicker with his Tropic of Cancer card, but then he realized that no mana is an island...
21:36: WickerNipple: it's a good thing you play blue C-G
21:36: Igloowhite suprises everyone by tossing out his derrida and foucalt double header, sowing deconstrucionist confusion about the table
21:36: lawnjart taps Lady Chatterly's Lover and The Satanic Verses to cast spinning illegibility which turns all players text to suggestive inkblots
21:36: Pyrogenic: Fortunately, the "Punnitentery" card is in play, which means C_Gs spell would have been instantly countered, and he'd have lost a turn.
21:36: Jurph taps all of his "Doe-eyed Lit-prof worshippers" and manages to play "Faculty Politics" — all octagenarian lit profs take -2 to Tenure.
21:36: Alias Mother Jonez: dear god, I was afraid it would come to this...
21:37: Chihuahua Grub: (am I a dork for thinking this is the funniest and most ludicrous conversation I've had in a long time?)
21:38: Alias Mother Jonez: actually, it's quite brilliant, and I wish I was writing it down.
21:39: WickerNipple: wait a minute... we've been having this conversation for 5 minutes now and you feel the need to ask if you're a dork?!? {actually, we'd been having the conversation for 17 minutes — Ed.}
21:39: Chihuahua Grub: I also had a limited set of Polish cards that included Red and White, Wicker. but I think tournament rules disallow pomo films...
21:39: Igloowhite: this is one of the most turbocharges consiliences of geekdom i have witnessed
21:39: Pyrogenic whips out his Philosopher's Ivory Tower expansion deck, taps four proleteriats while all other borgiose are tapped to play The Communist Manifesto, which puts us all on the same team.
21:40: WickerNipple reaches waaay down in the pile to tap the complete works of Ayn Rand. Beware.
21:40: Jurph lays down 2 "Whining Self-Absorbed Poets", taps them, and has Sylvia Plath charge in to counter Ayn Rand.
21:40: Igloowhite deploys the "leviathan" card, negating all age of enlightenment special powers
21:41: Chihuahua Grub: bastard! Jurph has me at every turn! only one choice left...
21:41: Pyrogenic: Fortunately, the "No New Orleans" card is in play, greatly reducing the impact of Ayn Rand.
21:41: Chihuahua Grub taps his coffee houses and lays the smackdown with Sartre, thereby negating Jurph's ENTIRE EXISTENCE.
21:41: Thrunt taps The Big Book of Angsty Teen poetry
21:42: n6 plays Ivanhoe and laughs maniacally. You're all doomed!
21:42: Jurph taps all of his mana and casts "Chicken Soup Literature For Dummies," causing Sartre's book to sell NO COPIES.
21:43: WickerNipple: it's a good thing Critique of Pure Reason is in play and existence can neither be proven nor disproven.
21:43: Pyrogenic: WN: Thank goodness — isn't that the card that nobody can ever stand to read the text on all the way thru?
21:43: Pyrogenic taps several lesbian authors and counters with selected works of Ani DiFranco
21:43: Igloowhite trumps "Chicken Soup" with the postliterate "great works of western civ" on tape!
21:43: Jurph discards Anne Rice (No New Orleans! BLAST!) and draws.... argh! A Night in Shining Armor by Jewel.
21:45: Pyrogenic quickly plays "MTV2" and "college radio" to ensure no cards from the most recent musical author expansion can be played.
21:47: Jurph checks his supply of mana and goes, tentatively, with "Chaucer," causing all spells to require an extra two vowels... that should slow down gameplay until I can cast Waiting for Godot...
21:47: Chihuahua Grub 's Charles Bukowski card makes short work of the collected works of Jewel (or any other immitator's) poetry.
21:47: Pyrogenic then taps "Editors of Rolling Stone" to sic P.J. O'Rourke on your asses!
21:48: WickerNipple says to hell with this, taps one server upkeep card to play Nate's Word Galaxy Generator. Ha! Try playing anything else for 5 minutes.
21:48: slide: ok. you guys is waaaaay too silly for this graveyard worker. time for something serious, like dick cheney's hair.
21:49: Jurph does smyle, sits bac, an rekuperaytes; what blessinges from thee galacksie of Nayte's.
21:49: Chihuahua Grub books the theatre ahead of time with the complete works of Tom Stoppard and Willem Dafoe, thereby delaying any dramatic works for the next two months.
21:49: Pyrogenic taps several midwest housewives to bring George Bush Jr. into play, forcing all spells to be with awful grammars.
21:49: lawnjart taps Friedrich Nietzsche to summon Zarathustra a 5/5 flying," when Zarathustra enters play, God dies."
21:50: n6 casts Descartes' Meditations and revels in the support of the gods
21:51: Jurph: For, faythe-based projektes fewe, inkrease mine popyularitie, they do; but faythe, a myssile defence can nae stand, when a lyttle childe reules alle the lande.
21:52: wertperch reminisces over Mornington Crescent
21:52: WickerNipple: damn it all. if the word galaxy generator didn't end the game... the complete works of William Shakespere including infinite monkeys should do it in... now rendering all texts completely devoid of importance due to infinity possibility.
21:53: Jurph: Nah, Wickernipple, I could still cast a probability textbook and disprove the likelihood that the correct monkey for the job would ever enter play.
21:54: Jurph: Whereupon, with Nietzsche already in play, I could cast any self-help book, and the abyss that gazes also would be summoned... on my team. Monkeys? Yum.
21:54: slide conjures 1000-odd-page complete works of e.e. cummings, then flees.
21:54: WickerNipple: you know what: this would be a marvelous party/drinking game... the only problem is, we're not really keeping up with what cards have been put in play previously... if you play something already negated by a previous player you're forced to drink...
21:54: Thrunt: Just wait until I summon Britannica...
21:54: Pyrogenic wonders who played the Library of Congress card and allowed cards from any genre to be played...
21:55: Bad Loser: Dalry Farmers' Society Show Rules
21:55: Jurph: e.e. cummings was countered by "James Joyce" back yonder...
21:55: edibleplastic: my philosophy teacher feels that Laura Bush is the Ubermensch :) (speaking of 5/5 flying!)
21:55: Jurph: You need the Library of Alexandria, too.
21:56: Pyrogenic: Jurph: I haven't seen anyone mention texts not appearing in the LOC, but for completeness, yah.
21:56: WickerNipple: pyro: didn't you read the house rules? the everything card is always in effect here.
21:56: Demeter trumps everyone with the one and only copy of the complete works of FwuffyBunny, and takes the prize.


Elapsed time: 34 minutes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.