The Power Glove was a neat little device that the toy company Mattel - the people who make Barbie - introduced in 1989 for use with the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). It was a hand-tracking device that could be used in place of the standard controllers while playing the Nintendo games. By putting a special sensor array on the tv, the motion of the glove was tracked in three-space. The glove could also detect finger motion and had a full set of buttons on the wrist. The idea was to get people to think they were playing with virtual reality when they were playing their games, but the real reality was that the Power Glove just didn't work well with the games.
Although the Power Glove didn't turn out to be a great toy for the Nintendo gamers, it was a very good toy for a lot of self-proclaimed geeks. Many experimenters have played around with lower-end VR systems using the Power Glove since it was hundreds of dollars less than other VR-type gloves at the time, as well as much more rugged.
Item in the Legend of Zelda series of video games by Nintendo. The Power Glove first appeared on the NES in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, as a more masculine replacement for the first game's Power Bracelet. It could be found at the far left of the Swamp Palace behind two locked doors, and allowed Link to smash blocks in that and other palaces with his sword.

It returned in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, where it could be found in the big chest in the heart of the second dungeon, the Desert Palace. In this incarnation it allowed Link to lift and throw light green rocks of various sizes - if he wanted to lift dark green rocks, he'd have journey to the fourth Dark World dungeon to find the Titan's Mitt.

The mighty item appeared once again in the deservedly little-known Philips CD-i game, The Wand of Gamelon. It was given to the player by Grimbo, once he had the Hanyu Spore. This time it was used by Zelda herself, actually - in Gamelon Link's the captive, and it's up to the princess to save the hero.

The Power Glove made its fourth and as-yet final appearance in Oracle of Ages for the Game Boy Advance. It was found on level 8 of the ancient tomb, and allowed Link to, among other things, lift giant blue genie statues. Go figure.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.