An instant-messaging program similar to AIM, ICQ, Odigo, etc. Most notable features is its interoperability with the Microsoft Network and AOL Instant Messenger network (though this last connection is fickle due to AOL's inability to play well with others.) It also integrates a text-to-speech engine that will read your incoming messages, a handy feature for those with poor vision. Made by tribal.com.

PowWow was my first experience with instant messaging and real-time chat. I remember those days...

PowWow had even more features. It had a follow-me web function, where one user could surf away, and the other automagically followed. It had a whitebörd for real-time drawing. After a while, it got the buddy list. And - not to forget - it featured the far coolest sound effects so far in the short life of instant messaging. It did also have a full-duplex phone function, and it worked relatively well, even on 28.8!

PowWow had very many, nasty bugs. That's why I stopped using it. It crashed. Many times. However, I will always remember PowWow. It was, after all, my first time.

PowWow is no more. Tribal.com could not afford the costs any more. What a pity. *sob*

Pow"wow` (?), n.

1.

A priest, or conjurer, among the North American Indians.

Be it sagamore, sachem, or powwow.
Longfellow.

2.

Conjuration attended with great noise and confusion, and often with feasting, dancing, etc., performed by Indians for the cure of diseases, to procure success in hunting or in war, and for other purposes.

3.

Hence: Any assembly characterized by noise and confusion; a noisy frolic or gathering. [Colloq. U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913


Pow"wow`, v. i.

1.

To use conjuration, with noise and confusion, for the cure of disease, etc., as among the North American Indians.

2.

Hence: To hold a noisy, disorderly meeting. [Colloq. U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.