I don't know what the proper name for Pranklin is, or even if it has one. Neither do I exactly know what category Pranklin falls under.

In Portland, OR, between I-205 and I-84, and a railroad track, there is a small sliver of land that lies in a narrow, relativly deep depression. Since the land is bounded by two freeways and there is no way to build any roads going into it, it was for a long time a piece of relativly wild land in the middle of the residential and commercial districts of Eastside Portland.

The name Pranklin, which was current amongst Portland graffiti writers, refers to a writer named Prank, who was one of the first to bomb in the area, which thus gained the name Prank-Land, shortened to Pranklin.

The main area for bombing inside of this depression of land was the Pranklin tunnel, a concrete walled tunnel that is around a hundred feet long. The tunnel once led from nowhere to nowhere, since it terminated in the middle of the median strip of I-205. Inside this relativly short tunnel was hundreds of graffiti pieces, ranging from crude tags and throw-ups to wildstyle pieces covering dozens of square feet that were worked on by probably a dozen people.

Not only a recreational center for graffiti writers, the steep valley just south of the tunnel was a great source of activity for bicyclists, motorcyclists and ATV users, since they could ride their vehicles down the steep muddy slopes, something that it was hard to find places to do inside of urban Portland.

As a third source of slightly outside the mainstream occupation, the narrow band of woods that covered the Eastern hillside of the valley, which was barely a hundred feet long, was the site of numerous temporary homeless camps, years before dignity village. Some of these were of a permanent nature, such as the treehouse in a tree overlooking the railroad tracks. I found these woods lovely to explore, although I was always afraid of the FTRA.

Although the bicyclists and hobos can still appreciate Pranklin for what it is, a last piece of unclassified land, the graffiti writers have had to relocate elsewhere, since their tunnel, once having no other function, now houses the Airport MAX aka Red Line, which passes through the valley and the tunnel, before going North.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.