O Thou kind Lord!

This gathering is turning to Thee. These hearts are radiant with Thy love. These minds and spirits are exhilarated by the message of Thy glad-tidings.

O God! Let this American democracy become glorious in spiritual degrees even as it has aspired to material degrees, and render this just government victorious.

Confirm this revered nation to upraise the standard of the oneness of humanity, to promulgate the Most Great Peace, to become thereby most glorious and praiseworthy among all the nations of the world.

O God! This American nation is worthy of Thy favors and is deserving of Thy mercy. Make it precious and near to Thee through Thy bounty and bestowal.


(This prayer for America was first offered by `Abdu'l-Bahá during his visit to the United States, as part of a public address delivered in Chicago, Illinois on 30 April 1912. The following excerpts from that talk may help give the reader additional context for the prayer and its meaning to Bahá'ís.)


. . . For thousands of years the human race has been at war. It is enough. Now let mankind, for a time at least, consort in amity and peace. Enmity and hatred have ruled. Let the world, for a period, exercise love. For thousands of years the nations have denied each other, considering each other as infidel and inferior. It is sufficient. We must now realize that we are the servants of one God, that we turn to one beneficent Father, live under one divine law, seek one reality and have one desire. Thus may we live in the utmost friendship and love, and in return the favors and bounties of God shall surround us; the world of humanity will be reformed; mankind, enjoy a new life; eternal light will illumine, and heavenly moralities become manifest.

. . . I pray in your behalf that your hearts may be enlightened with the light of the love of God; that your minds may develop daily; that your spirits may become aglow with the fire and illumination of His glad tidings, until these divine foundations may become established throughout the human world. The first of these institutions and foundations is the oneness of humanity and love among mankind. The second is the Most Great Peace. Praise be to God! This American democracy manifests capacity, showing forth readiness to become the standard-bearer of the Most Great Peace. May its hosts be the hosts of the oneness of humanity. May they serve the threshold of God and spread the message of the good pleasure of God.

Prayer written by Lloyd Ogilvie, chaplain, United States Senate, for the 2002 National Day of Prayer (May 2, 2002). Taken from http://www.nationaldayofprayer.org/articles/article4Prayer.cfm


Gracious God, all that we have and are is a result of Your amazing generosity. Since September 11th, in the battle against terrorism, we have discovered again that You truly are our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

We rededicate ourselves to be one nation under You. In You we trust. We reaffirm our accountability to You, to the absolutes of Your Commandments, and to justice in our society.

Bless our President, Congress, and all our leaders with supernatural power. We commit ourselves to be faithful to You as Sovereign of our land and as our personal Lord and Savior.

Amen.


PERMISSIONS GRANTED: If you wish to copy or reprint the Lloyd Ogilvie prayer you are hereby granted to do so by The National Day of Prayer. Copyright 2002 Dr. Lloyd Ogilvie.


NODER'S NOTE: In case anyone's wondering, I posted this as everyoneexcepttrolls because (1) I didn't actually write it, and (2) I don't actually agree with it. It's not a troll, despite containing the sentence "Bless our |President, Congress, and all our leaders with supernatural power." --tregoweth

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.