Preserves are fruit spreads that are comprised of 50% whole chunks of fruit, and 50% sweetener. They differentiate from jam, in that jam is a mixture of pureed fruit and whole fruit, whereas jelly is 50% fruit juice and 50% sweetener.

Pre*serve" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Preserved (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Preserving.] [F. pr'eserver, from L. prae before + servare to save, preserve; cf. L. praeservare to observe beforehand. See Serve.]

1.

To keep or save from injury or destruction; to guard or defend from evil, harm, danger, etc.; to protect.

O Lord, thou preserved man and beast. Ps. xxxvi. 6.

Now, good angels preserve the king. Shak.

2.

To save from decay by the use of some preservative substance, as sugar, salt, etc.; to season and prepare for remaining in a good state, as fruits, meat, etc.; as, to preserve peaches or grapes.

You can not preserve it from tainting. Shak.

3.

To maintain throughout; to keep intact; as, to preserve appearances; to preserve silence.

To preserve game, to protect it from extermination.

Syn. -- To keep; save; secure; uphold; sustain; defend; spare; protect; guard; shield. See Keep.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pre*serve", v. i.

1.

To make preserves.

Shak.

2.

To protect game for purposes of sport.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pre*serve", n.

1.

That which is preserved; fruit, etc., seasoned and kept by suitable preparation; esp., fruit cooked with sugar; -- commonly in the plural.

2.

A place in which game, fish, etc., are preserved for purposes of sport, or for food.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.