A word used by magicians to indicate that something has appeared by magic, or more commonly to mean that something has happened quickly. From the Latin praestus meaning "ready".

In music notation, Presto means a quick, excited tempo, about 100-150 bpm. The word simply means "quick" in Italian.

This is a poker term used to describe a Texas Hold-Em starting hand that consists of two cards both with a rank of five, also called "pocket fives". This nickname comes from the Usenet newsgroup rec.gambling (now rec.gambling.poker), and is sometimes used among the readership of that newsgroup to identify other members when they are playing at casinos. The standing joke is that the hand must be played as if it were the absolute best hand and if it wins the pot then you must shout out "PRESTO!". This is derived from the magician's phrase used when completing a magical trick.

Pres"to (?), adv. [It. or Sp. presto quick, quickly. See Prest, a.]

1.

Quickly; immediately; in haste; suddenly.

Presto! begone! 'tis here again. Swift.

2. Mus.

Quickly; rapidly; -- a direction for a quick, lively movement or performance; quicker than allegro, or any rate of time except prestissimo.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.