A phenomena of the pagan revival in 18th century, which combined two popular trends sexual libertinage and the kind of paganism seen in the the neo-Druid orders of the period. While this had a profound effect on some, including William Blake, it was more often just an excuse for debauchery. It may have indeed caused Priapism in the sense above :-) The Hell Fire Club was a paradigm case of a priapic cult.

Priapism is a condition where one has an erection which will not go away. The shaft is hard but the glans is not. It is very  painful.

Priapism is named after Priapus, a Greek fertility god, and on looking at a statue or painting of this god it is easy to see where the condition got its name. Priapus, as a god of virility, has an everlasting and highly noticeable erection. It is interesting to note that the enormous size of Priapus's penis meant he was banished to be a scarecrow in the fields. 

Priapism is not brought about by sexual thoughts or sexual activity (or lack of it).  It can occur at any age from infancy and seems to happen between the ages of five and ten years or between twenty and fifty years. The specific mechanisms that bring on attacks of acute priapism are unknown. Acute attacks often start during sleep, occasionally following sexual activity, but frequently no identifiable event is noted. An unusually full bladder is commonly associated with the onset of nocturnal attacks. Some episodes appear to be triggered or exacerbated by dehydration

Priapism can be separated into three main types:

RECURRENT ACUTE PRIAPISM

This is the most common form of priapism. With recurrent acute priapism the patient gets short attacks that subside spontaneously. He usually copes with this problem and may not seek medical advice

Most men suffering  recurrent acute priapism will continue to get attacks throughout their lives and will maintain some degree of potency. Others will eventually become impotent. A small group will develop an acute attack that will not subside without active and aggressive treatment in a timely fashion.

ACUTE PROLONGED PRIAPISM

The painful erection that does not subside after several hours is an emergency and should be treated aggressively. If untreated, the attack will last for several weeks, resulting in total impotence. Even with aggressive treatment, preservation of potency may be compromised

CHRONIC PRIAPISM

Rarely, a man may suffer chronic priapism either after a successfully treated attack of acute prolonged priapism or out of the blue. In chronic priapism the penis is semi-erect and there is no pain. The penis will slowly grow but the man will have trouble achieving a full erection. This may affect either the entire shaft or any part of it.

Most of the rest of the article deals with acute prolonged priapism.

THE MAIN CAUSES OF PRIAPISM ARE:

When blood is unable to escape the penis it tends to stagnate due to the limited space available for circulation. As this stagnation happens the blood becomes more acidic and looses oxygen. This causes the red blood cells to become stiff, which makes their being squeezed out through the blood vessels even more difficult.

There are two types of acute priapism - low-flow or ischemic priapism, which means that little or no blood flow is getting to the penis, and high-flow priapism, which is the result of trauma to the penis. In the case of high-flow priapism, there is actually a large amount of blood flow to the penis. 

The most important factor when dealing with priapism is speed of treatment. If treatment begins within between four and six hours from the onset of the erection, the penis has a 50% chance of recovering fully and having normal erectile function thereafter. However, if treatment is left for much longer than this irreparable damage can be done to the penis, and in extreme cases no erectile function can be returned.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Priapism.

Preliminary Questions and Medical History

  • the length (time) of the erection is determined and compared with the normal length of erection for that man.
  • all medications which the man is taking are documented
  • the man is asked whether any trauma has occurred

Physical Examination

  • the penis is examined to make certain it is showing the symptoms of priapism - a hard shaft and a soft glans
  • the rectum and abdomen are examined for signs of cancers which may be inhibiting the blood flow

Determination of the Type of Priapism

  • a blood sample is aspirated from the penis and examined to determine a blood-gas measurement. This measurement helps determine whether the priapism is low- or high-flow, and to determine how long the erection has lasted and (in cases of trauma) how much damage has been done

Treatment

  • Decongestant medications.
    These medications include drugs such as pseudoephedrine and terbutaline, which may act to decrease blood flow to the penis and can be very successful in early cases. 

     

  • Aspiration
    Once the blood-gas measurement has been performed and the priapism is determined to be ischemic, the old blood can be evacuated by aspirating through a small needle placed directly in the corporal body. The skin is cleaned and a local anesthetic is used on the penis. 50 to 150 ccs of blood is withdrawn. This usually allows enough release of pressure to allow the erection to subside.

Further Treatment

In most cases this treatment is enough to ensure a full recovery, but in some cases the erection will recur. If this happens certain vaso-active type drugs including epinephrine may be used, causing the blood vessels to constrict and prevent priapism from recurring.

If this is unsuccessful, a shunting procedure is performed. This is a minor surgical procedure that can be done in the emergency room. It allows the blood to drain from the corporal body into the glans and surrounding tissues.

Aftercare:

  • the patient is given a course of antibiotics (to ward off the very common infections to which patients whose blood has been aspirated are susceptible) and sent home.

Complications can and do occur during and after the treatment for priapism. These complications include:

Avoiding Recurrence

The prevention of recurrent episodes can be difficult. If you have suffered priapism and have an idea of what triggered the attack, that activity should be avoided.

Pri"a*pism, n. [L. priapismus, Gr. , from Priapus the god of procreation, the penis, Gr. : cf. F. priapisme.] Med.

More or less permanent erection and rigidity of the penis, with or without sexual desire.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.