Prince George is a city located at the junction of the Fraser River and the Nechako River. It is home to ~75,000 people.

Prince George has a forestry based economy, is home base to Canfor and Northwood.

The College of New Caledonia, CNC, and the University of Northern British Columbia, UNBC, have their main campuses located in Prince George.

Oh yeah, and I live there too!

One of the other things that Prince George is renowned for (although it's not so well known to residents) are the mountain bike trails in and around the city. The trails inside the city, open to both cyclists and foot traffic, are a combination of dirt and pavement, and offer great views but more importantly aren't anywhere near as crowded as those in larger centers such as Vancouver's seawall. This means that cyclists have the opportunity to go fast and actually get some exercise instead of having to putter along in a lazy manner like the rest of the traffic on the trail.

The better trails include the slough, which runs through the center of the city and at one point there is a dirt trail cut into the side of a steep hill on one side of the slough, creating a narrow walkway with trees close in on both sides. This connects to the Cottonwood Park trail, which runs alongside the river between Fort George park and Cottonwood Island park, the latter of which is sometimes flooded in places in spring.

Also, there are many great uphill grinds, as the city is basically shaped like a bowl - most of it is in a depression around the river, surrounded by steep hills that lead to the surrounding plateau. Taking Ospika Boulevard from the base of the hill to UNBC or to the College Heights area means a good half hour or 45 minutes of hard climbing. The other three highway exits from town - north, south, and east, all provide similar climbs for the start of good long-distance rides on the surrounding high plain. Coming back into town on these hills provides a welcome end to the return from such a trip as well.

Another less tame trail that I can think of may not have a name, but it runs north west, just west of Ospika Boulevard from Cormack Crescent, across a stream, then down a nearly vertical drop into an open field. The trail ends at the west end of Massey drive, if I recall correctly. It's a truly great trail and the oddest part is how it's still in the city limits, yet feels very backwoods. This is much of the charm of Prince George, a city in the middle of the forest.

Prince George Alexander Louis is the eldest son and first child of Prince William and Catherine Middleton, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Born in London on July 22, 2013, he is currently third in line to the throne of the United Kingdom behind his father and grandfather. He is the Queen's third great-grandchild and her first great-grandson.

William married Middleton on April 29, 2011. It was announced that she was pregnant in December of 2012 when she was admitted to hospital after suffering from severe morning sickness. The due date was eventually announced as mid-July 2013. The Duchess of Cambridge was admitted to hospital in the early stages of labour on July 22; the announcement of a successful delivery came several hours later. All three of the baby's living grandparents (as well as Prince Charles's second wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall) visted on July 23.

The family left hospital the day after the birth. George, swaddled in a white blanket, was barely visible — but the appearance of a tiny hand poking out of the blanket led to jokes about his first "royal wave."

The baby's name was not released until after the Queen had visited the couple and their son on July 24. It's presumed that they wanted her to be the first to know. They were naming their son after her father, though, so she probably wasn't going to object. It has been noted that his middle names, Alexander and Louis, appear to honour the Queen (whose middle names include Alexandra) and Louis Mountbatten. Louis is also one of William's middle names.

George was christened by the Archbishop of Canterbury at Kensington Palace on October 23, 2013. His godparents included friends of his parents as well as his father's cousin, Zara Tindall.

George's paternal uncle, Prince Harry, noted after the birth that his roles included protecting George and "making sure he has fun," which almost certainly gave a few royal handlers a coronary.

His full title is His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge. (This may change when his father eventually becomes prince of Wales.)

The city of Prince George, B.C., has dropped substantially in Google result rankings since the announcement of the royal baby's name.

 


 

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/news-and-diary/royal-birth-name
William and Kate head home with baby prince

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.