From what I've heard, my grandmother used to make these every year around Christmas time. With my grandparents' death (a few years before I was born, actually), the tradition kind of died out, apparently because nobody was willing to make them. A few years ago, my mom and I made a batch because she wanted to taste them again and make the house smell like Christmas. We did so, and I found out something bloody disconcerting firsthand about these seemingly innocent cookies: they contain beef.

Now, the None Such MincemeatTM website describes their product as being flavored with raisins, dried apples, citrus, molasses, spices, and a tiny amount of beef. They're trying to cover their collective ass, methinks. Beef is readily apparent in the cookies; you'll be eating along through the raisins and orange peels, look down at the cookie, and be staring right at a big hunk of cow meat. Mmm, cookies with protein!

At any rate, once you get past the meat content, they're quite good. This recipe makes about 75 cookies, and cooking up a batch will make your whole house smell spicy and Christmas-y. People tend to really like the taste, and don't generally notice the beef unless they're looking for it.

Ingredients:

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. Crumble mincemeat. Crumble it really well, nobody wants to eat a big lump of the stuff.
  3. Beat shortening and sugar until fluffy.
  4. Add eggs, beat well.
  5. Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt, gradually add to shortening mixture.
  6. Stir in mincemeat, mix well.
  7. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls two inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet.
  8. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Look sharp, this is easy to overshoot.
  9. Frost if desired.


Adapted from the recipe on the back of None Such Condensed Mincemeat

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.