Pronoun case: Objective and nominative

It is so much fun to node about grammar. My intent on the previous node and on this one is to help others speak properly. Again, sheath the claws! I am not purporting to be an English expert. However, I can help you with this rule, if you need it, just pay attention and stay alert...this "ain't" all that exciting.

There are three cases of personal pronouns: nominative, objective, and possessive. We will discuss nominative and objective.

Nominative Case Pronouns:

  • I, you, she, he, it, we, they

Forget you and it for now. Let's talk about the others. I have to introduce you to one other part of speech, so sorry. I am simplifying as much as I can.

Linking Verbs:

  • am, is, are, was, were, will be, has been, was being...these are the most commonly used.

Rule:

  • Use nominative pronouns(see list) after linking verbs.

See how it works (linking verbs are highlighted):

  • This is (she, her).
  • The winners were (they, them).
  • It will be (he, him) who answers the phone.

Answers (Pronouns are in bold):

  • This is she.
  • The winners were they.
  • It will be he who answers the phone.

Since few people speak this way any longer, use at your own discretion. If it sounds way too pretentious, just remember the rule when you take your next grammar test.

Objective Case Pronouns

  • me, you, her, him, it, us, them

Forget you and it.

You use objective case pronouns after prepositions. I bet you hated prepositions in school. There are a lot of them. Here are just a few that usually cause the English speaker difficulty:

Prepositions:

  • between, to, for, with, before, about, before, beneath, from...

    The list goes on forever. Prepositions are words that show a relationship between a noun or pronoun and another word in a sentence. The best thing you can do is memorize a few of them and remember the rule.

    Practice time (prepositions highlighted):

    • This letter is between you and (I, me).
    • I bought the present for you and (he, him).
    • I loved the trip with you and (she, her).

    Answers:

    • This letter is between you and me.
    • I bought the present for you and him.
    • I loved the trip with you and her.

    Why did I keep throwing in you? It is a total no-brainer otherwise. Actually, pay attention when broadcasters speak. They misuse pronouns all the time. Between us, misuse of pronouns is rampant in America.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.