To Prophecy in the Great Hunt
Prophecy in the Dragon Reborn

In the Wheel of Time book series, by Robert Jordan, prophecy plays an important role, and has foreshadowed a significant number of events through the series. But, who can remember all of the obscure prophecies uttered by Min, Elaida, etc. Therefore, I have collected the prophecy in the books, and then interpreted. As it stands, I have gotten through Eye of the World, part one of thirteen.

Pg. XV:
"Let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."

This prophecy is the core of the Wheel of Time series. Rand Al'thor, the Dragon Reborn, is the Prince of the Morning, the Lord of the Dawn. "Ages past and will be in ages to come" signifies that the literal Wheel of Time always repeats itself. I think the "great sword of justice" is Callandor. I don't believe "green things will grown and valleys give forth lambs" has any significance.

Pg. 215-216
"The War. . . ah . . . Master Andra has seven ruined towers around his head, and a babe in a cradle holding a sword." "The strongest images around the gleeman are a man- not him-juggling fire, and the White Tower, and that doesn't make any sense for a man. The strongest things I feel about the big, curly-haired fellow are a wolf, and a broken crown, and trees flowering all around him. And the other one-a red eagle, an eye on a balance scale, a dagger with a ruby, a horn, and a laughing face." "The same kinds of things as the rest: a sword that isn't a sword, a golden crown of laurel leaves, a beggar's staff, you pouring water on sand, a bloody hand and a white-hot iron, three women standing over a funeral bier with you in it, blood on a black rock wet with blood-." "Most of all, I see lightning around you, some striking at you, some coming out of you."

Lan (Master Andra) is the last survivor and a prince of the nation of Malkier, which was signified by seven towers, and is now destroyed. Lan was brought up from birth to use the sword. Thom Merrilin's (the gleeman) man juggling fire is his nephew, Owyn, who could channel saidin, and the White Tower gentled and executed him. Perrin (curly haired) is a Wolfbrother, that is, he is like a wolf in a man's body. He is somewhat incidentally raising the crown of the destroyed nation Manetheren. I have no idea about the trees flowering all around him. Mat (the other one) also raises the red eagle of Manetheren, is ensnared and nearly killed by the cursed ruby dagger of Shadar Logoth, blows the Horn of Valere, and I think the laughing face is a signifier of his unnaturally good luck. Nothing on the eye on the balance scale. Rand's sword that is not a sword is Callandor, which is not a sword but a sa'angreal, the golden crown of laurel leaves is the Crown of Swords, which is given to him when he takes Illian, nothing on the beggar's staff, pouring water on sand is reviving the fountains of Rhuidean, the city in the desert, the bloody hand and the white-hot iron is the wounds given to him by Baal'zamon, the three women and the funeral bier is when he is taken captive by Aes Sedai and kept in coffinlike cage, (or, suggested by mirv, that the three women are Elayne, Aviendha, and Min,) and the blood on black rock, is presumably the prophecy of his death at Shayol Ghul. Finally, the lightning signifies that he can channel.

Pg. 230
"A woman arrived a little while ago- shorter than I, young, with dark eyes and dark hair in a braid down to her waist. She's part of it, right along with the rest of you."

Nynaeve (the dark-haired woman) is indeed part of the large quest for the Eye of the World, as well as playing a pivotal role in the rest of the books. She is not ta've'ren, however.

Pg. 375
"Leafblighter means to blind the Eye of the World, Lost One. He means to slay the Great Serpent, Lost One. Warn the People, Lost One. Sightburner comes. Tell them to stand ready for He Who Comes With The Dawn, Lost One. Tell them. . .".

This is only a quasi-prophecy, in that it wasn't foretold, but the speaker, an unidentified Aiel, speaks of the coming of the Dark One, and the breaking of his prison. The Lost One is a Tuatha'an, who were originally Aiel.

Pg. 389
"In the last, lorn fight
'gainst the fall of long night,
the mountains stand guard
and the dead shall be ward
for the grave is no bar to my call."

This is from The Great Hunt of the Horn , which prophecizes that the Horn of Valere, which will raise all of the great heroes of the Age to fight against the shadow. It has already been blown by Mat Cauthon to defeat the Seanchan at the Battle of Falme, but this is probably not the last time it shall be blown.

Pg. 614
"This I foretell, and swear under the Light that I can say no clearer. From this day forward Andor marches toward pain and division. The Shadow has yet to darken to its blackest, and I cannot see if the light will come after. Where the world weeps one tear, it will weep thousands. This I foretell."

"This, too, I foretell. Pain and division come to the whole world, and this man stands at the heart of it. I obey the Queen, and speak it clearly."

Andor does indeed march to pain and division from here on, first when Rahvin steps in as Lord Gaebril and causes general mayhem, and in the Succession after the disappearance of Queen Morgase. And Rand Al'thor is indeed at the heart of all of it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.