"Human Greg," said senior Radar Technician X'melborp Brill-Vorblax as he approached the human's cubicle.

"No," said Greg.

"That was not a question, Human Greg. Your tiny mammalian brain may have misinterpreted my intentions."

"What is it?" said Greg, turning in his chair.

"I understand you are hosting a ship-wide writing competition!"

"Well, it's more a community building--"

"Nevertheless, I have created a list of potential entries to your 'Brevity Quest' challenge!"

"Oh. Really?"
Greg took the list.


1. A list of Earthling Civilizations that Discovered Faster Than Light Travel.

2. A List of Galactic Federation Members from Earth.

3. A Comprehensive List of Earthling Citizens Who Have Contributed Meaningfully to the Greater Galactic Scientific Community.

4. List of Successful Off-Planet Earthling Colonies.


The list went on, getting more and more specific.


46. List of Humans on the Andarian Starship Prosperity who were hired on merit and NOT a corporate push for diversity.

47. List of Human Technicians on the Andarian Starship Prosperity Named Greg Who Don't Use the Last of the Coffee Creamer.

48. List of Human Technicians on the Andarian Starship Prosperity Named Greg Who Don't Forward Old Jokes on the Public Communications System.

49. List of Human Technicians on the Andarian Starship Prosperity Named Greg Who Aren't Terrible in Every Way.


"Do you understand?" said X'melborp excitedly. "It is the height of brevity because the answer is zero! Those lists are blank! Your species is a disgrace! It is a funny joke, yes?"

Greg glowered. "Hilarious."

"You will publish it in your entries module, yes?"

Greg pinched the bridge of his nose. "Ugh."

"Excellent!"

X'melborp left with a bounce in his step. The friendship he was cultivating between him and Human Greg was finally beginning to take!

299

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.