Ah autumn, when yellow leaves and temperatures drop without warning and squashes of all types invade supermarkets everywhere. Pumpkins in particular are plentiful, with groups of them huddling outside stores waiting to go under the knife. Autumn hints that there will be colder days ahead which call for warm, satisfying breakfasts before you head outside and promptly freeze your nostrils shut. These tasty pumpkin waffles are ideal for such a morning. They have a nutritional boost from whole wheat flour, which provides fiber, and pumpkin, which has a whopping dose of vitamin A. The waffles will be denser than normal waffles because of the additional moisture in the pumpkin.

Makes 4 waffles, a good breakfast for two people. This recipe also doubles well and can be used to make pancakes instead if the urge arises.


Ingredients:

Start heating your waffle iron. Mix together the pumpkin, butter, egg, and milk in one bowl and the flour, baking powder, spices, pecans, and salt in another bowl. Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and stir everything just until smooth. Avoid overbeating.

When the waffle iron is hot, spray both top and bottom grids with cooking spray to keep the waffles from clinging to the iron. Add about 3/4 cup of the batter to the center of the iron. The exact amount will vary depending on the style and manufacturer of your waffle iron, so check the instructions. Close the iron and cook until done, 3-4 minutes or until the waffles stop producing steam. Serve the waffle immediately or place in a warmed oven to keep hot.

These waffles are best served hot with real maple syrup and maybe a sprinkling of more chopped nuts.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.