This punch is appropriate for parties and get-togethers in the warm weather months and is easy to make. These directions make enough for about 20 cupfuls.

Ingredients and equipment:

  • 2 quarts (~1.9 liters) of ginger ale, chilled
  • 6 scoops of raspberry or orange sherbet
  • 1 unpeeled orange, thinly sliced
  • 10 ice cubes
  • a large punch bowl
  • punch cups or just cups
  • bottle opener
  1. Pour the ginger ale into the punch bowl.
  2. Add the sherbet, breaking up each spoonful so that it melts. (Rum, champagne, or any spirits can be added here as desired).
  3. Put in the ice cubes and stir.
  4. Add the orange slices for decoration.
  5. Pour the punch into cups and serve.

Punch is a brand of cigar, originally of Cuban origin. Like many Cuban cigars, there is now a Punch brand that originates out of Honduras. The Cuban variety is generally considered the superior of the two.

This is a speaker brand, mostly specializing in subwoofer speakers, I reckon. The brand is actually owned by Rockford Fozgate.

I have a pair of 10 inch speakers through which my computer gives bass. After I invest in some crossovers I will give a review of how these things should sound here. Until then, let it be known that it's fun to play quake with loud thunderous bass at 3 A.M. YMMV and your roommates may not appreciate the "noise". (They obviously don't have good taste in music.)

the magazine
A comic magazine, one of the staples of British life since 1841 until its extinction in the 1990s. It was very radical at first, using its satire to crusade for social causes. Most of the time since it was more gently middle-class.

The founding editor was Mark Lemon. The name Punch was apparently given because someone suggested that like a bowl of punch it needed a touch of lemon. However, the very first cover used the famous images of Mr Punch and his dog Toby that were associated with it ever after. The original subtitle was The London Charivari.

Lemon died in 1870, and the editors after him have included Tom Taylor (1874-80; he wrote the play Lincoln was watching when he was shot), F.C. Burnand (from 1880 to 1906), Owen Seamen to 1932, E.V. Knox (Evoe) to 1949, the cartoonist Fougasse, Malcolm Muggeridge, William Rees-Mogg, and Alan Coren.

Most great British cartoonists contributed to Punch, notably Sir John Tenniel, Bateman and Fougasse; and writers with long associations with it included A.A. Milne, A.P. Herbert, and Douglas Jerrold.

The word cartoon itself, in the modern sense, comes from an early Punch drawing: a picture of visitors to an art gallery was given a caption beginning with the word "cartoon", which in art means a preliminary sketch. The name stuck for their humorous drawings. A number of famous Punch cartoons have passed into the language, like the curate's egg, "good in parts", and the two soldiers pinned down in a foxhole where one says to the other, "If you knows of a better 'ole, go to it!"

In its last few years Punch was dreadfully unfunny, and closed in 1992. There have been two attempts to relaunch it since 1996: first as an elegant glossy read, which was harmless enough, but not funny and therefore without purpose, and under the ownership of Mohammed al Fayed as a gadfly and scandalmonger more like Private Eye. In May 2002 Fayed announced he regretted he could no longer maintain it, and it would close again.


the drink
Webster is wrong again. Punch does not come from an Indian word for five. The English word is first recorded in this sense in the early 1600s. At this time it was pronounced with the ordinary u vowel of the time, as in put. Subsequently this changed (except in the north of England) to its present value, which is like the a vowel in Hindi panc 'five'. The association is natural using modern pronunciations, and was first made in the late 1600s, but cannot be correct.

The English word (or the phrase bowl of punch) was borrowed into several European languages early on, and these forms all confirm the pronunciation with u. Full details may be found in the OED.

Most dictionaries mention the supposed etymology from 'five', because the story is established, but with a qualifier like 'supposedly' or 'traditionally', since they have't room enough to explain in detail why it isn't true.

Episode 7 of Space Ghost Coast to Coast first aired on September 16, 1994. It was written by Matt Maiellaro and former Beavis and Butthead writer Billy Aronson.

Guests: In this episode the guests were romance novelist Cindy Guyver, Dian Parkinson of the Price is Right infamy, and phone pranksters-cum-folk heroes the Jerky Boys.

Episode Premise: The episode opens with Space Ghost apparently performing a magic show in Rome, Italy. At least until Zorak reminds him about the show. From there we have such bits as the Ghost making terrible passes at Cindy Guyver, Zorak and SG repeating the word punch to annoy the Jerky Boys (and to make Moltar think they said Ponch - another CHIPs reference), and Dian Parkinson being asked about affairs, or rather the fair. Show closes with a logical (but still silly) explanation of the Zorak locust-mantis confusion from the first 5 episodes. That doesn't stop it from coming up many more times in the future.

Banjo -- Batmantis

Punch, with his wife Judy and dog Toby, the chief characters in a popular comic puppet show, of Italian origin, the name being a contraction of Punchinello, for Pulcinello, the droll clown in Neapolitan comedy. The exhibition soon found its way to other countries.

~ ~ ~

Punch, or the London Charivari, the chief of English comic journals, a weekly magazine of wit, humor, and satire in prose and verse, illustrated by sketches, caricatures, and emblematic devices. It was founded in 1841, the first number appearing July 17 of that year, and, under the joint editorship of Henry Mayhew and Mark Lemon, soon became a household word, while ere long its satirical cuts and witty rhymes were admitted a power in the land. "Punch" is recognized as an English institution.


Entries from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Punch (?), n. [Hind. panch five, Skr. pacan. So called because composed of five ingredients, viz., sugar, arrack, spice, water, and lemon juice. See Five.]

A beverage composed of wine or distilled liquor, water (or milk), sugar, and the juice of lemon, with spice or mint; -- specifically named from the kind of spirit used; as rum punch, claret punch, champagne punch, etc.

<-- (b) a nonalcoholic beverage, usually composed of a mixture of fruit juices -->

Milk punch, a sort of punch made with spirit, milk, sugar, spice, etc. -- Punch bowl, a large bowl in which punch is made, or from which it is served. -- Roman punch, a punch frozen and served as an ice.

 

© Webster 1913.


Punch, n. [Abbrev, fr. punchinello.]

The buffoon or harlequin of a puppet show.

Punch and Judy, a puppet show in which a comical little hunchbacked Punch, with a large nose, engages in altercation with his wife Judy.

 

© Webster 1913.


Punch (?), n. [Prov. E. Cf. Punchy.]

1.

A short, fat fellow; anything short and thick.

I . . . did hear them call their fat child punch, which pleased me mightily, that word being become a word of common use for all that is thick and short. Pepys.

2.

One of a breed of large, heavy draught horses; as, the Suffolk punch.

 

© Webster 1913.


Punch, v. t. [OE. punchen, perhaps the same word as E. punish: or cf. E. bunch.]

To thrust against; to poke; as, to punch one with the end of a stick or the elbow.

 

© Webster 1913.


Punch, n.

A thrust or blow.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Punch, n. [Abbrev. fr. puncheon.]

1.

A tool, usually of steel, variously shaped at one end for different uses, and either solid, for stamping or for perforating holes in metallic plates and other substances, or hollow and sharpedged, for cutting out blanks, as for buttons, steel pens, jewelry, and the like; a die.

2. Pile Driving

An extension piece applied to the top of a pile; a dolly.

3.

A prop, as for the roof of a mine.

Bell punch. See under Bell. -- Belt punch Mach., a punch, or punch pliers, for making holes for lacings in the ends of driving belts. -- Punch press. See Punching machine, under Punch, v. i. -- Punch pliers, pliers having a tubular, sharp-edged steel punch attached to one of the jaws, for perforating leather, paper, and the like.

 

© Webster 1913.


Punch, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Punched (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Punching.] [From Punch, n., a tool; cf. F. poin&cced;onner.]

To perforate or stamp with an instrument by pressure, or a blow; as, to punch a hole; to punch ticket.

Punching machine, ∨ Punching press, a machine tool for punching holes in metal or other material; -- called also punch press.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.