Quality of Service (QoS) is a implemented in the Protocols for Internet2. In simple, it is the method used for guaranteeing the quality of your connection to Internet2 (or other networks that use it). Quality of things like throughput, security, stability, etc. Is one key benefit of Internet2.
the two main protocols used for QoS are DiffServ and RSVP.

Quality of Service (QoS) is a term used to described mechanisms that try to optimize the usage of a network. They might include traffic shaping, priorities, services classes and such. In short, network throughput is distributed and regulated using a given set of rules to guarantee a higher quality of service.

QoS (Quality of Service) is a complicated work in progress designed to increase the ability of real-time applications on the Internet. The Internet was designed as a "best-effort" network that does not differentiate its service response between different traffic streams. The idea behind QoS is to allow for different levels of bandwidth, delay variance (jitter), etc. These service levels will in effect augment the Internet to allow superior service levels, or predictable service responses independent or network conditions.

A widespread and end-to-end QoS deployment would allow for applications to provide services such as video conferencing, internet phones, streaming media, multicasting, conferencing, and much more.

The most common QoS protocols are ATM, DiffServ, IntServ/RSVP, and MPLS.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.