Québécois (kay-bay-kwah) is the adjective which refers to that which comes from the Canadian province of Québec. Traditionally, the Québécois people are francophone, and have a history of agriculture and logging. Of course, not all Québécois live in Québec, and many Québécois identify much more as such than as Canadians, French-Canadians, or even francophones. Only those actually from France will identify as French. The immigration into Québec is almost exclusively into three hubs: Montréal, Québec City, and Gatineau. This makes for split cities where to get by you need not know the other language, but to succeed you may need both.

stewacide maintains that Canadian anglophones would most likely identify anybody in the province as 'Quebeckers', and would reserve the use of 'Québécois' for 'ethnic Quebeckers' (those who are white, francophone, and Catholic). Generally, however, First Nations people in the province of Québec will identify first as their indigenous group, then as Québécois, then as Canadian. Immigrant populations would identify as their immigrant group or as Canadian first, and would identify with their province last.

The feminine of Québécois, almost never used in English, is Québécoise (kay-bay-kwahze). The theory is that one would say "The Québécoise woman entered the room." The practice is that one does not.

Québécois and Québécoise alike are most likely in Canada to be smokers*, at 27%. This, compared to British Columbia at a low, low 17%. Further, Québecois smokers smoke the highest average number of cigarettes, at 17.4 per day.

Québecois(e) entertainers:

  • Céline Dion
  • Daniel Léveillé
  • David Pressault
  • Gilles Vigneault
  • La Compagnie Médiévale
  • L'ensemble des Lutins Luthiers
  • Mordechai Richler
  • Other famous Québécois(es):
  • Benjamin Sulte
  • Denys Arcand
  • Éric Godin
  • François Lanctôt
  • Gaetan Dugas
  • Jean Chrétien
  • Jean Lesage
  • Jean-Paul Riopelle
  • Léon Provancher
  • Marjorie Péloquin
  • Monique Bégin
  • Pierre Pettigrew
  • Roch Voisine
  • *Canadian Tobacco Use Monitoring Survey 2002 data.

    It is very important not to confuse the two expressions "French-Canadian" and "Québécois". French-Canadian, which once designated Québécois, now only applies to Canadian citizens living out of Québec who speak French. "Québécois" has been used since the 60's and is a better representation of the reality. Another important thing, when writing about Québécois, is important not to forget the two accents aigus on the "e"s.

    An arm asleep beside the bed
    upon which waits a pillowed head
    does bring to mind its restless twin
    awake, alone, its thoughts within
    and as Left, again, its vigil keeps
    and Right, docile, in darkness sleeps
    though of the trunk, as is his brother
    Left feels sure there is no other.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.