The Queen's Commisson is awarded to all officers of the British, Canadian, Austrailian and New Zealand armed forces. It represents Queen Elizabeth II's trust in Her new officer, and sets out his special responsibilities.

Most Commissions are fairly similar. The following text is that which is contained in my own commissioning scroll:

Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND AND OF HER OTHER REALMS AND TERRITORIES QUEEN, HEAD OF THE COMMONWEALTH, DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

To our Trusty and Well Beloved Andrew James Wasley Greeting:

WE, reposing especial Trust and Confidence in your Loyalty, Courage, and good Conduct, do by these Presents Constitute and Appoint you to be an Officer in Our Royal Air Force from the Thirtieth day of May 2002. You are therefore carefully and diligently to discharge your Duty as such in the Rank of Acting Pilot Officer or in such other Rank as We may from time to time hereafter be pleased to promote or appoint you to and you are in such manner on on such occasions as may be prescribed by Us to exercise and well discipline in their Duties such Officers, Airmen and Airwomen as may be placed under your orders from time to time and use your best endeavours to keep them in good Order and Discipline. And We do hereby Command them to Obey you as their superior Officer and you to Observe and follow such Orders and Directions as from time to time you shall recieve from Us, or any superior Officer, according to the Rules and Discipline of War, in pursuance of the Trust hereby reposed in you.

Given at Our Court, at St James's
the Sixth day of August 2002 in the Fifty-first Year of Our Reign

By Her Majesty's Command

The Scroll is signed by the Queen (although a facsimilie signature may be used), and two senior officers of the Royal Air Force - usually the Chief of the Air Staff and the Air Secretary.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.