Queensbridge, the name given to a six block section of Long Island City in Queens NY, is a public housing project and was completed in 1939. It comprises 24 six-floor buildings with four buildings on each block, and since the Robert Taylor Homes have been all but destroyed it is the largest public housing project in North America.

Once a very dangerous quarter of the city, with NYPD responding to an average of ten shootings every night, Queensbridge, "QB" or "The Bridge" is a much safer place to live now, although it still holds a mean street reputation with good reason.

Queensbridge has also earned a reputation as a hip hop Mecca over the years, and even comes up in arguments over which neighbourhood hip hop was "invented" in. Hip hop greats like Marley Marl, Mobb Deep and Nas all hail from the QB and made the place infamous through their tales of life in the projects.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/1701878 A picture of Queensbridge, it gives a good idea of what the neighbourhood looks like in terms of architecture and space, this work is original and created by me.

Queensbridge is home to nearly 30,000 people who are for the most part black, with less than 5% of the population being made up of latin, asian and white residents.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.