Queso blanco is much like Indian paneer. Queso Blanco can be cut into 1/2 inch (12 mm) cubes and used in a wide variety of dishes. It is uniquely suited for cooking because it will not melt. In fact, it is the only cheese which can be deep-fried without melting! Added to such dishes as pasta, soup or stir-fried vegetables, the cheese will take on the flavour of the surrounding food. By itself the cheese has a very mild and distinctly sweet taste.

Warm one gallon of milk to 195 degrees F. Stir the milk often to keep it from scorching. When the milk is at 195 degrees F., stir in 1/4-1/2 cup vinegar (cider, grain, or herb vinegar.) Turn the heat off and let the hot milk set for 10 minutes. The milk will quickly coagulate into solid white curd particles and a clear green liquid whey.

Line a colander with fine cheesecloth and pour the curds and whey into the colander. Hang the bag of curd to drain for one hour or until the curd has stopped dripping whey. Remove the cheese from the cloth. It will be a solid mass of curd and may be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the refigerator until ready for use. One gallon of milk will produce up to 1.5 lbs of cheese!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.