This is a way of roasting spuds that I've not seen elsewhere. They come out almost like thick cut crisps (or chips if you are in the US). They are quick to cook, and combine easily with roast meats like lamb chops, chicken pieces, or whatever. You can easily put them together, and arrange that everything will be ready at the same time. Finally, the way of coating them in butter and oil means that you don't have to fiddle around with basting, and they get a lovely crispy-fluffy texture. Salt crystals and rosemary make a classic flavour.

The recipe. Ingredients:

  • potatoes, in their skins, scrubbed. Ones with good thick brown or red skins work well.
  • sea salt (in crystal form), pepper
  • lightly salted butter and olive oil
  • rosemary
  1. Cut the potatoes into chunks, up to about 2 inches or so. Try to maximise surface area by making big chunks, half inch or so thick.
  2. Place in COLD water in a pan (with a close fitting lid, but don't fit the lid yet), just covered, and place on a high heat. If the oven is not already going, fire it up at 200-220.
  3. Bring to the boil, and then allow simmer for about two minutes. (The parboil step reduces the cook time hugely and gives the special texture, with the next step.)
  4. Drain off the water. Add a generous knob of butter and some olive oil, place the lid on the pan, and give the spuds a good shake in the pot. This smashes them up a bit and coats them in the greasy stuff. They're gonna be brown and crispy!
  5. Place the spuds on a greased tray, and sprinkle liberally with the salt crystals, ground pepper, and rosemary, fresh if you have it.
  6. Place in the oven for around 15-20 mins, remove once to turn the potatoes and season a bit more maybe.
  7. Enjoy!

Variations : this method is not limited to potatoes. You can also add parsnip, carrots and other root veg, do them all together. And roasting with the meat always works well - add the veg 20 minutes before the end of roasting time, after draining off all the meat juices that will be used to make the sauce.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.