This is a quick recipe designed to be an alternative to the standard bachelor pasta fare. It can be made out of practically anything and is flexible enough to serve any purpose from a quiet night in front of the TV to a dinner for two. It also works extremely well as a fridge-clearer.

Also realize that this recipe isn't anything close to authentic. It's a shoddy imitation that offers some variety and spice from common ingredients without taking ages to prepare. Still tastes pretty damn good, though.

Ingredients:

  • 1-1.5 chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1/2-3/4 package angel hair pasta
  • 12-3/4 cup frozen broccoli spears
  • 1 medium yellow/white onion
  • 1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil (and a bit more for the pasta)
  • 2 tbsp corn starch
  • soy sauce
  • Salt and pepper

Boil water for the pasta with a little bit of oil and some salt thrown in. Stir-fry the onions, chicken, red pepper, garlic, salt and pepper over high heat in as close to a wok as you've got - a frying pan will work in a pinch, but you'll need to futz with your heat settings to keep it from cooking too fast. Keep stirring it to keep it from burning. After the chicken's cooked through, add the frozen broccoli (if you're using fresh veggies you should probably steam them first in a separate container to soften them up a bit before adding them to the stir fry) a good quantity of soy sauce and the corn starch (it acts as a thickener). Keep stirring to dissolve the starch in the soy sauce. If the starch starts to burn, add a few splashes of water to the pan to thin it out a bit. Keep stirring; this isn't a fire-and-forget kind of dinner.

This is the fun part: when the pasta's done (try to keep it a bit on the firm side as you're not quite done cooking it yet) lightly strain it and dump it into your wok. Mix it around with the heat still on full until thoroughly combined. Add a final dash of soy sauce and serve.

If you're doing this in a frying pan and it's not large enough to accommodate all this stuff, do this part in reverse - dump the chicken into the strained pasta and mix it up in there. You won't get that nice fried noodle texture, but it's still plenty effective.

This quantity should stuff two people, or sate three to four. It scales extremely well and will keep for a few days if covered and refrigerated.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.