Manufacturer: Nintendo
Year: 1987
Class: Wide Release
Genre: Space Shooter
Type: Video Arcade
Monitor:
  • Orientation: Horizontal
  • Type: Raster: Standard Resolution
  • CRT: Color
Conversion Class: unique
Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Alternating
Control Panel Layout: Single Player
Controls:
  • Joystick: 8-way
  • Buttons: 2 - Fire, Pod Control

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)


Abstract

Side-scrolling shooter in which you assume the role of a pilot who must use his superior skills to conquer hordes of aliens. Collect powerups and modifications to assist in this task.

Gameplay

The controls consist of a joystick, a fire button and a pod control button. The fire button can be held down for extended periods to increase the power of one's shot.

Conversion Info:

Although this games PCB says it is a JAMMA board, it cannot be used for other JAMMA games. It lacks certain required hardware characteristics.

Legacy:
R-type
R-type II
R-type Leo

WWW: http://www.rtype.com/


tech specs from klov.com

A horizontally-scrolling space shoot-'em-up, developed as an arcade game by Irem (NOT Nintendo!) in 1987 and ported to nearly every home computer, console and handheld available, from the ZX Spectrum to the Sony Playstation. R-Type introduced a number of ideas that have often been copied since, such as a level involving flying around the outside of a much larger spaceship, and a weapon that is charged up by holding down the fire button.

The enemies (the evil alien Bydo Empire) are in Irem's biomechanical style, with a mixture of traditional spaceships and massive alien creatures (such as the iconic first end-of-level boss). Knowing they were onto a winner, Irem put out a number of sequels/remakes (R-Type Leo, R-Type II, Super R-Type) as well as several games with a similar style (such as X Multiply). Tecnosoft's later Thunder Force games are probably the closest thing to an immediate successor to R-Type, and contain numerous 'homages' to parts of the original game.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.