RTS is an opcode for the 6502 processor. The opcode stands for "Return From Subroutine", which makes it the complementary instruction to JSR. In short, it pops the instruction pointer which the most recently executed JSR instruction stored on the stack, and causes execution to continue from that location.

The machine code representation of this opcode is 0x60.

Back to the 6502 opcodes metanode

RTS is also an abbreviation for Return To Sender. Used on snail mail.

RTS the game genre

RTS games such as Warcraft II, Starcraft, Command and Conquer, Total Annihilation, Dungeon Keeper II, and the like tend to emphasize tactics (individual battles) over strategy (long-term goals). For this reason, I propose an alternate expansion for the initials:
Realtime Tactics Simulation

RTS the instruction

A 6502 instruction that pulls a 16-bit number from the stack and loads it into the program counter. Stands for "Return To Saved." Commonly used to ReTurn from a Subroutine or to implement a jump table.

  • Function: (Pull Stack) + 1 => PC
  • Updates flags: none
  • Opcode numbers:
    impl  $60 (6 cycles)
    

To implement a jump table with RTS, make sure your table contains addresses minus 1, as RTS increments the address before jumping to it.

  lda jumptable+1,x
  pha
  lda jumptable,x
  pha
  rts
jumptable:
  .dcw sub0-1, sub2-1, sub4-1, sub6-1

RTS takes six CPU cycles to complete (one to fetch the opcode, two to fetch the next two bytes because JSR and RTS use similar control, two to pull the program counter, and one to advance the program counter and commit the stack register).

RTM = R = rude

RTS /R-T-S/ imp.

Abbreviation for `Read The Screen'. Mainly used by hackers in the microcomputer world. Refers to what one would like to tell the suit one is forced to explain an extremely simple application to. Particularly appropriate when the suit failed to notice the `Press any key to continue' prompt, and wishes to know `why won't it do anything'. Also seen as `RTFS' in especially deserving cases.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.