University of Aachen, Germany. It has about 30000 students, 2/3 of which study science or engineering. In addition there is medicine, economics and "arts" (things like history, sociology, psychology, ... ; well after I just learned that no one except a natural scientist is studying science I shouldn't be surprised about the usage of "arts" ;). No law, though. A relatively large amount of the funding (for a German university) comes from the industry, especially due to the high reputation of the engineering faculties.

RWTH Aachen was founded in 1870 (building started in 1865) and got its strange prefix after the second world war: RWTH stands for Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule, so it seems like Aachen was then intended to become Northrhine-Westphalia's institute of technology. Though it doesn't fit at all anymore (Aachen is now a university and there are a lot of other universities in Northrhine-Westphalia that teach technical sciences), the name has stuck.

Due to its amount of students, the RWTH spreads its buildings from within the former city wall ring north western outwards to outside the contemporary ring formed by the by-pass roads. Its most famous building is probably the clinic where the medical students are taught. While building was already underway it was discovered that the ground (consisting of sand) wouldn't be able to support the planned building. Two stories were cut from the plans but the elevator shafts had already been build to full height. Now they tower above the rest of the building like the distillation columns of a chemical plant. This look is further strengthened by the fact that the air-conditioning and other ducts have not been hidden behind some exterior paneling but are painted in various colors. Only few people would suspect on first sight that they are seeing a hospital. Maybe a tribute from the medical faculty to the engineering ones?

More information on http://www.rwth-aachen.de/zentral/aaaguide_english_default.htm

And somebody should write a node on the German education system to explain what high school (Hochschule), institute, diploma, ... means in Germany.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.