A duo composed of Steve McClure and David Christophere. Christophere does all of the programming (i.e, the technical part of the techno genre) while McClure provides the fright and glitter. They recorded several cuts for Hallucination Records before switching over to Hardkiss. Most of their remixes, which include pieces from Garbage, White Zombie, Sarah McLachlan, and Tori Amos, are available on Rabbit in the Moon Remixes, Volume I.

Their current project, FlooriD.A, is available, as is Rabbit in the Moon Remixes, Volume II.

Rabbit in the Moon (aka RITM) may be based out of Tampa, Florida, USA, but they never perform as "Rabbit in the Moon" there. Each person performs under their own DJ name, Confucious (Dave Christophere) and Monk (Steve McClure).

There is a third member of the group known as Bunny. He started off as a performance artist with Rabbit in the Moon and dressed up in costumes made of lasers and light-up tubing or mirrors or furry/feathery wings. It's really quite spectacular. Bunny will also DJ from his special rig primarily comprised of mp3 mixing software.

Another member of RITM is DJ Three, although it might be one of the others spinning records under another name.

My favorite RITM tunes are Floor.i.da and their remix of Goldie's Inner City Life.
Remember when you were a kid and you climbed to the roof of your house and lay in the cool night air and gazed at the moon; how you imagined the features of a kind man smiling down at you? Well, long ago while Spain was sending out ships in search of spices a little boy with red-brown skin and silky dark hair gazed up at those same stars as he leaned against a grassy hill...and saw a rabbit in the moon.

"Rabbit in the Moon" stems from a Mayan myth. When the Mayans looked at the shadows formed by the distant craters, they saw a leaping rabbit. As a result, images of the Moon Goddess are often depicted with her holding a rabbit in her arms.

Other cultures have seen the leaping rabbit in the moon as well, it would seem. While searching for links between the holiday Easter and the animal the rabbit, Ron Westman of the House Rabbit Society found the following:
The rabbit's association with the moon is partly explained by two stories. In one Buddha places him there as payment for a favor in which Rabbit voluntarily gave himself as food for one of Buddha's hungry friends. In another, a rabbit, with nothing else to offer a hungry, weary Indra, jumps into a fire, cooking himself for the deity (a timeless example of humankind's self-serving fables). Out of gratitude, Indra placed the rabbit in the moon.
I've also discovered it is the title of a documentary film concerning the Japanese in World War II. A little chatting with ch'i-lin and I learned that this is because they too see a rabbit in the moon. Not only that, but Sailor Moon's name is Usagi Tsukino which literally translates to rabbit on the moon. The translation explains a little about the Japanese Animation character, as her guardian planet is the moon and she is portrayed with these two really long pony-tails that I've always thought looked a little rabbity myself. Obviously the bands and dance groups who have obtained the name over the year have been inspired by ancient myths deeply rooted in several cultures.

Next time you lay in the grass or on a roof, squint your eyes and try to ignore the smiling man you may have been gazing at all these years. Instead open your eyes to the leaping rabbit and consider what the little Mayan boy might have been thinking as he looked upon it.


Or of course you could picture the cartoon blonde with the short skirt.





References:
House Rabbit Society, http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/history-of-easter.html
New Day Films, http://www.newday.com/films/Rabbit_In_the_Moon.html
Half Moon Org., http://www.halfmoon.org/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.