Radiata pine (Pinus radiata; formerly Pinus insignis) is an evergreen conifer native to North America, growing naturally in three locations on the southern coast of California, and in Guadalupe Island and Cedros Island in Mexico. Radiata pine grows to a height of 49.5 to 115.5 feet (15 to 35 metres), with a diameter of about 12 to 36 inches (30 to 90 cm), 3 to 6 inch needles growing in trios, and a dense crown. Cones are 3 to 5.5 inches in length and occur in one or more clusters of three to five around the branch. The outer bark is narrowly ridged and the inner bark is resinous. Radiata pine wood is light, soft, and coarse grained.

The radiata pine is one of the most widely grown exotic timber species in the world, as it reaches maturity quickly, grows in a wide range of conditions, provides large yields of usable timber, and produces particularly versatile timber. Radiata pine is planted for timber in Maui, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Chile, Spain, and the British Isles.

Other common names for the radiata pine include insignis pine, Monterey pine, Cambria pine, Guadalupe Island pine and Cedros Island pine.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.