A New England dreamer of the famous Carter family, who used to travel in the Dreamlands - his biggest adventure was the dream-quest for the unknown Kadath, documented in a H.P. Lovecraft mini-novel of the same name. Since that, he lost his ability to enter Dreamlands but recovered it after he found the Silver Key and disappeared from the waking world. He returned to the Dreamlands and reigns there as king of Iled-Vak... I guess.

He is also a friend of cats of Ulthar (because he helped them to defeat the evil Zoogs) and the ghouls - mostly because his friend Richard Upton Pickman became one. Of course, helping ghouls to defeat almost-humans and the moonbeasts secured the eternal support of ghouls for Carter. They even agreed to escort him to the unknown Kadath.

Also anagramed into several Stephen King stories. In King's impossible to read Dark Tower series, the hero is Roland of Gilead.

Roland is an anagram for Randol
"Roland of" is an anagram for Randolfo

Even more obviously is the father of the boy David Carver in Desperation, Ralf Carver. The name David Carver is full of symbolic meaning, especially on the author's rumination on his roots of ripping off Lovecraft.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.