Poet and educator Dr. Rashidah Ismaili Abu-Bakr designs narratives of relationships between women, men, God and society. Revealing the words of one voice woven within the noise of; war, life, space and time. Her poems express the infinite meloncholy of those bare words, distant voices- alone, screaming to be heard, listened to beyond the darkness of silence.

I met Dr. Ismaili Abu-Bakr in 1995. She read poems from her collection, Missing in Action and Presumed Dead (Africa World Press, 1992) to our English 102 class. As class ended, I took a moment to apologize for being less than attentive during her reading. She gave me a welcoming smile and told me to read it later.

She asked me about writing, about how I felt and where I had been, when I was going.

She asked me to write about injustice. To give words to those without voices. To give injustice a heart, give it breath, bring it alive and make it real. If I didn't then who would? She asked me to listen to history, others, within myself. To open the peripheral vision of my soul, to find stories in what I saw every day; of homeless people, the pain of enslaved countries, of displaced people. When it was real to the people who didn't want to see, it could begin to heal.

That day I began to see beyond obstacles, farther than the boundaries of stereotypes, ignorance and all which obstructed my view of enlightenment.

Dr. Ismaili Abu-Bakr is a native of Benin, Nigeria (Dahomey). She currently works at the Pratt Institute in New York.

If we listen, we will progress. Retaining in a locked box in our soul, the shallows of our memory these words of injustice, of faith wallowing in this wisdom, we will progress.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.