"Even if the brew tastes somewhat strange at the first swallow, do not stop, because soon you will realize that your thirst will not decrease and your pleasure will visibly increase."

Rauchbier, literally "smoked beer", was first made by the Schlenkerla Tavern in Bamberg, Franconia, Germany. Now other Bamberg breweries also make their own versions. The beer has a rich smoky flavor, and the aftertaste is a little bit strange, like the taste of burnt bacon fat. Although it is not my favorite German beer, it is one I will always remember.

Echte Schlenkerla Rauchbier (Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer) is brewed according to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516 meaning it contains only water, yeast, barley and hops. The smoky flavor is added to the malt during the kilning (drying) process. "A beechwood-log fire underneath the kiln heats the air, and the smoke gives the malt its typical smoky flavor."

This beer has received many awards over the years for its quality and unique flavor. Schlenkerla Rauchbier has an alcohol content of 5.1%. The three types of smokebeer made by Schlenkerla are Maerzen, Wheat beer (hefeweizen) and Urbock.


Sources:
http://www.schlenkerla.de/
http://www.american.edu/TED/GERMBEER.HTM

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.