Please keep in mind it's very important that you do EXACTLY what these instructions tell you to. A mistype could result in the frying of your router. In addition, I will take no responsibility for any damage to your router as a result of using these instructions -- proceed at your own risk

Download a CBOS image from your DSL provider's website, NOT FROM CISCO...
UPDATE:
All current CBOS images are on the DSL updater CD. Simply install DSL updater (you can cancel when you get to preliminary instructions) and browse to "c:\program files\dsl updater\CBOS Images" The images are named fairly intuitively. For example, for a Cisco 678 in CAP mode, choose nsrouter.c678cap.2.4.3.bin.

Terminal in to the 67x

Get into debug mode

Type in the following command at the "=>" prompt:
=>df 10008000

At this point the 67x is now ready to recieve the new CBOS image. You should see a string of the letter c scrolling across the screen. Go to the "Transfer" menu, and select "send file". "Protocol" needs to be set to "Xmodem". Click the browse button and find the image that you downloaded and unzipped. It is ABSOLUTELY critical that power not be interrupted during this process.

Transferring the file usually takes a few minutes. The file size will be reported when it is done, it will be a hexidecimal number. Note this, we will need it later.

Issue these and only these commands (WARNING: if you don't do exactly those commands and no more you may turn your 67x into a paperweight). IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT TYPE "es 5", I REPEAT, DO NOT TYPE "es 5" (see above).
=>es 0
=>es 1
=>es 2
=>es 3
=>es 4
=>es 6
These commands erased sectors 0-4 (the area in the NVRAM where the old CBOS was stored)

Use the following command to reprogram it with the new CBOS image that you just downloaded from your computer.
=>pb 10008000 fee00000 xxxxxxxx
where "xxxxxxxx" is the file size that you should have wrote down earlier.

You should see the following when it's done:
Programming flash address 00000000 from 10008000...
Flash Programmed.

After this process is complete and you get back to the "=>" prompt, powercycle the router and you are ready to configure the router.

Click Here for more info on the Cisco 67x.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.