One of the 39 Melachot, the reaping category includes cutting or plucking any growing thing.

Agriculture is again one of the main ways in which man shows his dominance over nature. This category is therefore also one of those mentioned in the Torah: "Six days shall you work, but you shall rest on the seventh; in plowing and in harvesting, you shall rest." (Exodus 34:21)

Such activities as plucking a flower and plucking a fruit from a tree come under this heading. The same is true of mowing a lawn. It was also legislated that we do not handle any growing flowers or plants, and it is forbidden to climb a tree or smell a growing flower.

Fruit which falls from a tree on Shabbat may not be used on the same day.

The use of animals as well as plants is forbidden since there is the concern that one might forget and inadvertently pluck a branch for use as a switch.

<< Prev Full Next >>


Most of this information is taken from the book "SABBATH Day of Eternity" by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, published by NCSY. In the book itself, there are notes that refer the reader to detailed footnotes. I am lucky to have found such a clear, concise manual with these brief overviews of laws so vast and complex there are Rabbis that specialize in them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.