French cheese whose name comes from the old french reblocher, which means "milking for a second time". This fresh and tender cheese, with an orange crust and a creamy, moist body, is made of the milk from the second milking of Savoie's montbéliardes, Abondance and tarines cows. This milk is richer and thicker, and is not skimmed prior to manufacture. Enjoy it with Savoie wine. And try it in grilled cheeses!

Adapted from Encyclopédie des fromages, Guide illustré de plus de 350 fromages de toutes les régions de France, Librairie Grund.

This French cheese originated in the Savoy mountains, and is centuries old. Its name is derived from the French Reblocher which means "second milking". This is a result of the practise of French herdsmen milking their cows on the day where the milk quotas were checked, while leaving enough left over for another milking. The herdsmen would then milk the cows a second time following the inspection, keeping the results for themselves. The second milking yielded a richer milk of a higher fat content, which was responsible for the creamy taste of the cheese that resulted.

This cheese has a fat content of around 50 percent, and has a mild, creamy taste. Reblochon has a ripening period of around four weeks, and an unpronounced aroma. Highly regarded by cheese connoisseurs, it has a supple texture, and a flat, disc-like shape (approximately 1 by 5 inches). Reblochon is a soft, surface-ripened cheese, and has a washed rind of a reddish colour and a matte finish.

The interior of the cheese is pale and semi-soft, and is known to develop a somewhat bitter taste when past its prime. It is recommended for consumption at the end of meals, accompanied by a light red wine.



thanks to Albert Herring for the corrections

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.