Warning: This node contains spoilers which are unsuitable for younger readers, and those who have not seen Red Dwarf. You have been warned.

Series 1 defined Red Dwarf terms… Series 2 determined Red Dwarf’s future. It introduced two new actors who would return in later series, but who would not play the character they played in this series. However, this series was an excellent series for tossing around more sci-fi ideas. It also featured Lister’s lost love, Kristine Kochanski.

Also introduced for this series was the comparitively tiny transport vehicle Blue Midget. It was used for 3 episodes in this series, but after Series 4’s famous Bodyswap episode, it was no longer used. Starbug took over, being a lot bigger and able to house entire stories (such as Marooned in Series 3, and the whole of Series 6 and 7).

The first episode in this series was “Kryten”, with the title role being played by David Ross. He returned as Talkie Toaster in Series 4. When Kryten was rescued from the Nova V (another space ship), nobody thought he would have a future. The crowds loved him, so Robert Llewellyn took over from Series 3 onwards.

”Better Than Life” is nothing like the book of the same name by Grant Naylor, but it still featured a video game that brought all your fantasies alive. It also included the very funny (albeit short) “Your Father Is Dad” sketch by Craig Charles and Chris Barrie.

”Thanks For The Memory” was a classic episode. It expounded on Rimmer’s sad love life, and also gave him the silliest role ever – tap-dancing in top hat, tails and underwear to “Someone To Watch Over Me” in a dream sequence. Watch out for Lister’s cast – in scenes where it isn’t there, neither was Craig Charles.

”Stasis Leak” screwed around with time travel yet again as Lister, Rimmer and the Cat attempted to find out who actually married Kochanski in the photograph Lister found in her quarters. Congratulations had to go to Mac McDonald, who played Captain Hollister, for dressing up as a chicken and then getting splattered with green paint.

Charles Augins, choreographer for Parallel Universe and Series 8’s Back In The Red, made an appearance as the title character in “Queeg”. Queeg took over Red Dwarf, forcing the crew to (shock! horror!) work. Holly’s erasure at the end was a parody of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

”Parallel Universe” was the last episode of Series 2, and it ‘marked the end of an era” (Red Dwarf 2 Collector’s Booklet). The crew found their way into a parallel universe, where everything was the opposite – Arlene Rimmer, Deb Lister, Hilly, and Dog. Hattie Hayridge (Hilly) returned in Series 3 as Holly when Norman Lovett left.

So that was Series 2. Click here for Series 3… or here if you missed something from Series 1.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.