The Redwood Highway is a route of the United States Interstate Highway System. It is also called U.S. Route 199. It travels through the southwest most part of Oregon and the northwest most part of California, connecting Interstate 5/US Highway 99, and US Highway 101, on the California Coast. The terminal points of the route are Crescent City, California in the west, and Grants Pass, Oregon in the east.

The route is notable for two things: it is very, very scenic and it is very, very scary. The road is called the Redwood Highway because it passes through California's northernmost great Redwood forest. Following the route of the swiftly flowing Smith River, the road has a variety of great scenery: deep canyons, clear water and towering redwoods. Unfortunately, it is hard to appreciate these because the road is also narrow, twisting and full of climbs and descents. It is also heavily trafficked: there is a big stretch of Oregon and California, going from roughly Gold Beach, Oregon to Eureka, California that is serviced by the Redwood Highway, including heavy truck traffic. So while it could be a beautiful route, it is also a very dangerous route. Also, as a cyclist, I was very disappointed by the very slight shoulders on the highway.

Luckily this area of California and Oregon has other, less heavily trafficked roads for leisure driving. Those who must drive this road for more utilitarian purposes should be very careful.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.