Okay, I don't know if the disclaimer goes in the front or the back so I'll get it out the way.

Disclaimer - I neither agree nor disagree with any of the things mentioned in this write up. Its just here as a matter of record.

The Reform Party is a political party that had it roots formed by Ross Perot and his supporters in 1992 in his on again, off again, on again bid for the Presidency.

The Reform Party Mission Statement, adopted November 2, 1997 at their convention in Kansas City, Missouri.

"We, the members of the Reform Party, commit ourselves to reform our political system. Together we will work to re-establish trust in our government by electing ethical officials, dedicated to fiscal responsibility and political accountability.

Founding Principles

Set the highest ethical standards for the White House and Congress:

No more gifts.
No more trips or junkets paid for by special interests.
No more free meals
Pass laws with significant penalties -not rules.
Give Congress and the White House the same retirement plans and health care as the average citizen.

Balance the Budget:

Develop a detailed blueprint to balance the budget.
Eliminate the practice of keeping some programs off budget.
Pass the Balanced Budget Amendment
Create an annual financial report in plain language so the American people will know whether or not we are following the plan to balance the budget.
Give the President the Line Item Veto.

Campaign Reform:

Reduce the costs of elections by shortening the election cycle.
Vote on Saturdays and Sundays -not Tuesdays - so working people can get to the polls.
Replace the Electoral College process for electing the President with a direct vote from the citizens -so that every vote counts.
Prohibit announcementof exit pols until all voting has been completed in Hawaii.
Require Members of congress to raise all money from voters in their districts, and require members of the Senate to raise all money from voters within their States.

Term Limits:

Limit Members of Congress to three terms in the House of Representatives and limit Senators to two terms in the Senate.

Create a new tax system:

It must be fair.
It must be paperless.
It must raise money to pay the bills.
Require that any future tax increases under this new system be approved by the people in the next federal election, in order to impose discipline on spending.

Carefully puttng together plans to deal with Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security:

Explain these plans in detail to the American people.
Get a consensus.
Pilot test each of these programs before implementing them nationwide to make sure they produce the anticipated results at the anticipated cost.
Keep these programs dynamic, so that they can be changed based on experience -don't freeze them with restrictive legislation.

Promoting jobs in the USA:

Negotiate trade agreements that promote American jobs, consumer safety, environmental protection and fair trade.
Create a business environment that supports small business, which accounts for roughly 80 percent of jobs held by Americans today. Trade agreements, tax reform, health care reform and other programs must reflect the needs of small business.

Lobbying Reform:

Prohibit former elected and appointed officials from ever taking money from foreign governments and foreign interests.
Prohibit any former high level federal employees - including elected officials - from ever working as a foreign lobbyist.
Allow foreign governments to provide information to our government through the State and Commerce Departments and the Executive Branch, but prohibit them from giving contributions or gifts of any kind.
Allow foreign representatives to visit Members of Congress, but under no circumstances allow them to give elected officials anything now or later.
Prohibit any former high level federal employees - including elected officials -from working as a domestic lobbyist for five years after leaving government service in the area in which they served.
Limit domestic lobbying to presenting client's ideas to the Legislative and Executive Branches.
Prohibit domestic lobbyists from giving money, trips or other incentives to current or former members of the Legislative and Executive Branches.

Source -http://reformparty.org

So much for the disclaimer - After reading/writing this, it sounds like it was written by a bunch of first graders

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.