Student Union at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, founded in 1890, and one of the oldest in the United States. It's purpose is "to unite all its members in a commitment to the ideals for which Rensselaer stands, to expand the extracurricular life at Rensselaer, to coordinate all student organizations, to act as a means through which student opinion can be expressed, and to work with all other members of the Rensselaer community to enourage student initiative and to lead student action in all interests which will server the welfare and betterment of Rensselaer." (Renneslaer Union Constitution). Constuted under the authority of the Board of Trustees, the Union consists of a Student Senate, the chief legislative and policy making body of the Union, and the Executive Board, which manages clubs and finances. The Senate is made up of four elected Senators from each undergraduate class, six elected from the graduate school, one appointed by the Interfraternity/Panhelleic councils, and one appointed by the Independent Council. It's presided over by the Grand Marshal. The Executive Board is made up of twelve members appointed by the President of the Union and confirmed by the Senate. The Grand Marshal, President of the Union, and all the non-freshman Senators are elected in the spring, week-long extravaganza called GM Week.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.