Term used in The Matrix to describe the virtual representation, within the matrix, of each human being that is plugged into the system.

Morpheus describes it as "the mental projection of one's digital self".

The residual self image is fully interactive with the rest of the matrix system. It carries out all the actions as directed by the mind of the human being plugged in to the system. The person is completely immersed within the matrix, and all senses felt by the brain through the RSI overrides those received from the real body.

It can be theorized that one who has mastery over the matrix will be able to manipulate their own RSI. This is only a theory as it has not been demonstrated so far in The Matrix trilogy.

BTW, The Matrix is an awsome movie. But that's only a personal opinion. The node for The Matrix has some awsome writeups. Read them if you haven't already.

This is also the perfect term to describe why you look like yourself in your dreams (at least most of the time).

I experienced this for the first time when I cut my hair. I'd had long hair, past my shoulders for a few years, and decided it was time I stopped looking like the front man of a hair metal band. For a while after that (as I'm sure many of you have experienced) I often didn't recognise myself straight away in mirrors. Anyway, a few nights after the chop I looked in a mirror, and lo-and-behold, my hair was long again. I stood there for awhile, and suddenly realised I was dreaming.

This is called lucid dreaming, and can give you complete controll over the dream environment. (At least that's the theory - for some reason I decided to jump out a window, and I woke up.)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.