Allergy Safe Recipes

2 cups rice
4 cups water

Rinse the rice to clean it. Pour 4 cups boiling water over rice and let soak for 1 to 2 hours. Blend 1 cup soaked rice with 2 1/2 cups water (this can be cold water). Blend rice to a slurry (not a smooth liquid); pour it into a pot and repeat with rest of rice.

Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Line a colander with nylon tricot or a few layers of cheesecloth. Put a bowl under the colander and pour the rice mixture into the colander. Another 1 cup of water (or less or more) can be poured over the rice to get out more milk. Press the rice with the back of a spoon, then twist nylon and squeeze out as much milk as possible.

This milk is very plain and can be flavored with oil, vanilla, salt, etc.

Rice milk is another vegan substitute for cow's milk, for those who don't like soy milk or are allergic to soy. It is generally thinner and sweeter than soy milk. It tastes better, but it doesn't have anything like as much protein which means that it doesn't have close to the same nutritional value, it feels less substantial, and there are many things which soy milk can do in cooking that rice milk cannot. Various flavours of commercial rice milk are available.

Another kind of rice milk can be made by cooking brown rice with a cup more water than it will absorb for about half an hour. Once the rice is done, drain the excess liquid into a cup and you will have some smooth, warm brown rice milk as well as a plate of cooked rice. This rice milk is good for taking the edge off spicy food, and also tasty and nutritious.

or anyway, i like it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.