Minor league soccer team in Richmond, VA, playing in the A-League, one level down from Major League Soccer. The Kickers' primary MLS affiliation is with DC United, but like most A-League teams, they'll take who they can get on loan from any MLS club, and let players leave the same way. The Kickers' home games are held at University of Richmond Stadium.

The Kickers won the 1995 USISL Premier League championship and US Open Cup signifying the US club championship, with players like Rob Ukrop and future DC United starter Richie Williams anchoring the club. The team is now a power in the A-League, and one of the most stable franchises in the league, partially due to their investment in personnel development. The Kickers have signed deals to administer several local youth soccer leagues, and encourage their players to obtain coaching licenses, after which they can be employed during the off-season as coaches for advanced-level youth teams in the area. This allows the Kickers some year-to-year stability not always seen in US lower-division soccer, as players do not have to scramble each off-season for a non-soccer job whereever they can find one, and can instead stay right in town working and training with their professional club.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.