A thin edge of something three dimensional, reasonably rigid and preferrably (though not necessarily) hollow. Cups and jars have rims. Hm, but then again, so do eyeglasses and anuses. Perhaps I'd better think this over...

Acronym for the company Research in Motion. A Canadian high-tech company located in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Their most well-known product is the Blackberry two-way wireless e-mail pager, although they also make several other wireless devices including OEM radio modems. RIM, as it's known, started life in the mid-80s as a spinoff of the University of Waterloo. Their stock trades on both the TSE (RIM) and NASDAQ (RIMM) and the price has been quite volatile.

RIM is an acronym for Remote Integrated Multiplexer. These devices connect to the phone exchange line into a housing estate and sets up a 'daisy chain' link from each house in the neighbourhood and then back to the exchange.

RIM's work well for voice, but cannot handle data very well. This poses a problem if your neighbourhood is connected to a RIM and you want DSL or another form of high-speed internet, seeing most telecommunications companies would rather listen to you complain about the extremely low speed you would encounter rather than upgrading.

In automotive terms, a rim is a type of open wheel of a one-piece design, usually with spokes radiating from a central hub. If you can see the brake calipers through the wheels, you're looking at rims.

Rims are most often found on sports and luxury cars, modified Hondas and the like.

Various trim levels of the same car model are often differentiated by rims with a certain number of spokes. For example, a sport model might have six-spoke rims while the base model has five spokes.

This usage could probably be considered slang, as I hear it most frequently among young car addicts. Technically, the rim is also the outside edge of any wheel, where the wheel meets the tire.

Rim (?), n. [As. rima, reoma, edge; cf. W. rhim, rhimp, a rim, edge, boundary, termination, Armor, rim. Cf. Rind.]

1.

The border, edge, or margin of a thing, usually of something circular or curving; as, the rim of a kettle or basin.

2.

The lower part of the abdomen.

[Obs.]

Shak.

Arch rim Phonetics, the line between the gums and the palate. -- Rim-fire cartridge. Mil. See under Cartridge. -- Rim lock. See under Lock.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rim, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Rimmed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Rimming.]

To furnish with a rim; to border.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.