RINKITINK IN OZ

Wherein is recorded the Perilous Quest of
Prince Inga of Pingaree and King
Rinkitink in the Magical
Isles that lie beyond
the Borderland
of Oz

By L. Frank Baum
"Royal Historian of Oz"

Introducing this Story

Here is a story with a boy hero, and a boy of whom you have never before heard. There are girls in the story, too, including our old friend Dorothy, and some of the characters wander a good way from the Land of Oz before they all assemble in the Emerald City to take part in Ozma's banquet. Indeed, I think you will find this story quite different from the other histories of Oz, but I hope you will not like it the less on that account.

If I am permitted to write another Oz book it will tell of some thrilling adventures encountered by Dorothy, Betsy Bobbin, Trot and the Patchwork Girl right in the Land of Oz, and how they discovered some amazing creatures that never could have existed outside a fairy-land. I have an idea that about the time you are reading this story of Rinkitink I shall be writing that story of Adventures in Oz.

Don't fail to write me often and give me your advice and suggestions, which I always appreciate. I get a good many letters from my readers, but every one is a joy to me and I answer them as soon as I can find time to do so.

"OZCOT"
at HOLLYWOOD
in CALIFORNIA, 1916.

L. FRANK BAUM
Royal Historian of Oz

LIST OF CHAPTERS
1 - The Prince of Pingaree
2 - The Coming of King Rinkitink
3 - The Warriors from the North
4 - The Deserted Island
5 - The Three Pearls
6 - The Magic Boat
7 - The Twin Islands
8 - Rinkitink Makes a Great Mistake
9 - A Present for Zella
10 - The Cunning of Queen Cor
11 - Zella Goes to Coregos
12 - The Excitement of Bilbil the Goat
13 - Zella Saves the Prince
14 - The Escape
15 - The Flight of the Rulers
16 - Nikobob Refuses a Crown
17 - The Nome King
18 - Inga Parts With His Pink Pearl
19 - Rinkitink Chuckles
20 - Dorothy to the Rescue
21 - The Wizard Finds an Enchantment
22 - Ozma's Banquet
23 - The Pearl Kingdom
24 - The Captive King





Noder's Notes: In his tenth Oz novel Baum again attempts to steer attention away from Oz itself and into the surrounding world, only bringing established and favored characters in near the end of the story. There is a sort of Arabian nights or persian quality to this book, but certainly isn't as entertaining as his others, mainly due to a very annoying main character, Rinkitink. Rinkitink is so indolent, jolly and prone to singing that he would make Barney the Dinosaur seem like Oscar the Grouch. Rinkitink's companions includes an Aladdin-ish lad and a very grumpy donkey (the opposite of the one in Shrek, and like that film the most endearing of this book). While the magic and perils in this book can capture the imagination, Rinkitink's songs make me skip through most of it to the good stuff. In my opinion, the weakest of Baum's Oz series (and for some reason, I spent the longest time hardlinking), but the next one is one of the best.

A few curious lines from this story taken out of context:

It reminds me of the alligator that tried to whistle.
You have no talking goats on your island, I suppose.
I should love to tickle the bottom of your feet with a feather
If I had a hand, instead of a cloven hoof, I'd like to shake hands with you
Never question the truth of what you fail to understand, for the world is filled with wonders
In the evening the stars came out in the sky and tipped the waves around their boat with silver.
This is the way to get ideas: never to let adverse circumstances discourage you, but to believe there is a way out of every difficulty, which may be found by earnest thought.



...previous Oz book...Other Oz books...first chapter...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.