A really fun game by Apogee Software. Featured good old fashioned computer violence wrapped around nice big weapons and rather bizarre special bonuses. (You ain't seen God Mode 'till you've seen it in ROTT!)

Also had a nice truckload of multiplayer options and games. Very nice indeed.

UPDATE: 11/11/2000

Playing over ROTT again nowadays makes me realize quite a few things about it. Most of all, this game was REALLY ahead of its time. Around the time when Doom allowed 4-player deathmatches (teams if you're lucky) in the game's normal levels, ROTT allowed 11 players in 9 different deathmatch games (YEARS before the first CTF mod was made for Quake, ROTT had Capture the Triad) spread over 30 multiplayer levels (in the CD version... site license version had 10 more, PLUS the random level generator) PLUS the single-player levels.

Not only that, but ROTT had pre-recorded audio taunts (Remote Ridicule). You could have the game scream "BEHIND YOU!" right before cracking some skulls with Excalibat. And, LONG before Team Fortress 2, this had Live Remote Ridicule... primitive by today's standards, but it allowed one player at a time to speak into the microphone and have everyone in-game hear it.

Perspective-corrected sprites, too? Heaven forbid!


Rise of the Triad Weapons:

The shotgun, the rocket launcher, the BFG. Most gamers alive during the Doom era know these weapons by heart.

But, do you know the Flamewall, the Drunk Missile, and the mighty Excalibat? Unless you've played Apogee's Rise of the Triad (ROTT), you probably don't.

With that said, here's a rundown of all the weapons (Not counting powerups) in ROTT:

Pistols

Missiles

NOTE: Some of the information in these nodes was taken from the official ROTT FAQ v3.0, at http://www.3drealms.com/faq/rottfaq30.txt. Specifically, the exact damage and ammo supplies were taken; all the descriptions are in my own words.

A correction to xdc's writeup. The game engine was not based on ID's Wolfenstein 3D engine, but rather the engine used in the shareware game Ken's Labyrinth. It was created by a guy called Ken Silverman. It was the engine that would soon go on to become the famous Build engine and power games such as Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior.

However, in all fairness, Ken himself wrote in the Ken's Labyrinth readme file that the engine was directly inspired by Wolfenstein.

Update: There now seems to be a bit of a scuffle between myself and my fellow noder, EvilDonut, who consistently claims that the engine was, in fact, based off id's engine, and not Silvermans. His evidence lies in this article (http://www.classicgaming.com/rott/hell), where Mark Dochtermann - Apogee programmer - claims he reprogrammed the Wolf engine for ROTT. However, I recall reading a short article by Silverman on a now-defunct website where he claimed his first work was done for ROTT. I suppose people will believe EvilDonut now, since his claims can be substantiated. I am leaving my (incorrect?) writeup intact, however, and let the courts decide.

December 20th, 2002. andman says The source code for Rise of the Triad was released under the GPL today, thought you might want to add that to your w/u. Read more at http://linuxgames.com/news/feedback.php? identiferID=6094&action=flatview

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.