Rivet (rivet*culture)

Sometimes synonymous with Industrial. A little punk, goth, lots of industry and plethora of mad max. Rivet heads bare the name with pride. They are the idustrial culture's busy workers. The ones that DO stuff besides being a scenester and dressing up all shiny and tactical. Rat bikes, programming, synthetic musical instruments, and leather jackets make up the diet of the esteemed rivet head.

Rivet are a two-piece alternative rock band from Melbourne, Australia. They formed in January 1999 under the name of Catatonic, with a very 'pop' sound. The line-up consisted of Luke Goudge on keyboards and vocals, Stephen Prescott on guitars, Kieron Armatolos on bass and Thom Schreuder on drums.

Soon after forming, Luke left the band, the keyboards were dropped and Stephen took over on lead vocals. Rivet took on a darker, heavier sound at this point. Distortion and drop-D tunings became standard fare.

Approximately a year later, Kieron also left the band, to become a grown-up. Now the line-up is solely Stephen and Thom. After a period of inactivity, Rivet recorded a new demo at Audrey Studios, Richmond (tracks available at http://www.mp3.com.au/rivet/) and began again. Doesn't sound like the end of the story, does it?

Riv"et (?), n. [F., fr. river to rivet; perh. fr. Icel. rifa to fasten together. Cf. Reef part of a sail.]

A metallic pin with a head, used for uniting two plates or pieces of material together, by passing it through them and then beating or pressing down the point so that it shall spread out and form a second head; a pin or bolt headed or clinched at both ends.

With busy hammers closing rivets up.

Shak.

Rivet joint, ∨ Riveted joint, a joint between two or more pieces secured by rivets.

 

© Webster 1913.


Riv"et, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Riveted; p. pr. & vb. n. Riveting.]

1.

To fasten with a rivet, or with rivets; as, to rivet two pieces of iron.

2.

To spread out the end or point of, as of a metallic pin, rod, or bolt, by beating or pressing, so as to form a sort of head.

3.

Hence, to fasten firmly; to make firm, strong, or immovable; as, to rivet friendship or affection.

Rivet and nail me where I stand, ye powers! Congreve.

Thus his confidence was riveted and confirmed. Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.