Simple but special.

Prep time - 20-30 mins.

Cooking time - approx. 40 mins.

Notes - You might want to pair this up with a starter and dessert, in which case I'd go simple on both counts, like soup and brownie or lemon tart. The last time I ate this, we just had fresh crusty bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to start. Wine is up to you, of course, but I'd say light red rather than anything too full. You're going to season the apple and the potatoes, but no need to over-elaborate, the duck is the centrepiece.

Ingredients (for two)

Medium/large duck breast
8 medium size roasting potatoes
4 cooking apples
1/4 lemon
Salt
Black pepper
Olive oil or butter

Prep method

Heat your oven to 200C.
Allow the meat to get to room temperature all the way through before cooking. Season the fat side of the duck breast with a little salt and score the skin.

Prep your potatoes by cleaning and removing the eyes. Chop into smallish wedges. This is essential, if they're too big they take too long to roast and you're not going to get everything out in good order. Wash your chopped potatoes again thoroughly and once the water is clear of starch allow them to sit in a bowl of hot water from the tap.

You can either core and slice your cooking apples into wedges, which is a prettier plating, or you can core and dice them down into thumbnail sized pieces, which are easier to eat. I prefer the latter, the plate is simple but if you know how to cut meat carefully it will still look great.

Having mulled things over and made an apple decision, possibly over a shot or an apéritif, you squeeze the lemon into a bowl of water and leave your chopped apple in there.

Drain the potatoes, rub oil on their roasting vessel and toss them in some oil (melt butter if that's what you've chosen), black pepper and salt. You've finished your main course prep. Slice the bread, pour some drinks, go and have a word with yourself in the bathroom.


Cooking method

Potatoes go into the top of the oven for 20 min.

Sear fat side of duck in pan, retain any stock in a small pan.

Potatoes come out, are turned and seasoned.

Potatoes go into the middle of the oven. Duck goes into the top, fat up. For best results use an oven dish that is close to the same size as your duck breast. 10 min.

Duck comes out, is turned, retain stock. Potatoes turned and seasoned ad lib. 10 min.

Check pinkness of duck by making diagonal cut in centre of breast. Adjust times slightly if necessary but do not overcook.

Duck out to rest on board.

Apple is sautéed in your chosen oil with salt and black pepper, if diced it will brown less. If cut into wedges, allow to brown slightly but do not burn. Collect stock from board and gently warm stock pan. Turn oven off.

Slice duck diagonally, no thicker than your little fingernail. End pieces are less rare, so consider the preference of your guest(s). Take out potatoes.

Plate the meat, potatoes and apple. Decant stock into cup or jug to serve (warm with boiling water first) or serve from pan.

The plating done, wipe the sweat from your brow and put a smile on your face. Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.