Rob Zombie is the performing name of Rob Cummings (aka Rob Straker), the former lead singer of the influential heavy metal/techno/industrial band White Zombie. Rob ran away from home to New York City right after graduating from high school. He worked odd jobs to support himself - any kind of menial job you can name, he worked it. While there, Rob hooked up with long-time girlfriend Sean Yseult (Shauna Reynolds).

In 1985, the two formed White Zombie, named after a 1933 Bela Lugosi film. Rob was the frontman for the band, which took many different types of music and mixed them into a genre of its own. The band's music was almost revolutionary - they specialized in a ghoulish, horror-filled, dark and demented sound. While not as deep or delicately-sadomasochistic as the Nine Inch Nails, for example, White Zombie was right out of the comic books. Growing up, Rob and his younger brother had exposure to American pop culture at its best, and they transformed it to an outlandishly dark music appropriate for just such a fantasy world. White Zombie released several independent labels, but it was in 1992 that the band struck it big with La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One on their major label debut with Geffen Records. Rob's strong vision and creative role in the band led to the multi-platinum Astro-Creep: 2000, Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions of the Electric Head in 1995, establishing White Zombie as a major presence in newer rock (if in a grudging, half-assed kind of way).

While the band was progressing as a group in the 90s, Rob started progressing as an artist. Fulfililng a life-long dream, Rob teamed with Alice Cooper for a track on the X-Files soundtrack. He moved into production and managing (for his younger brother Spider One's band, Powerman 5000), film direction The Crow 3, remixing, and - in 1998 - Rob released his own record label, Zombie A-Go-Go, through Geffen. Rob also helped with Beavis and Butthead Do America and Howard Stern's Private Parts. Also in 1998, Rob released his solo debut, Hellbilly Deluxe, featuring the same ghoulish, dark music that he started with White Zombie. Later, he released a remix album of Hellbilly Deluxe, American Made Music To Strip By.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.